My Import/Export plugin (SVG, Telegram Sticker, Lottie, dotLottie)

I’ve already discussed some of the features of this plugin but now Synfig has proper support for importers (see New scripting capabilities) so I can properly announce it as a plugin.

It adds importers and exporters for the following formats:

• SVG: Works much better than the built-in SVG importer
  • Lottie: The “animations for web” format by AirBnB http://airbnb.io/lottie/#/
  • Telegram Animated Stickers (TGS): Animated stickers for the Telegram messaging app
  • dotLottie: Lottie files packaged and with additional metadata https://dotlottie.io/

Synfig has a built-in Lottie exporting plugin, my plugin provides an alternative implementation.

The latest version of my plugin can be downloaded from here: http://mattia.basaglia.gitlab.io/python-lottie/downloads.html

12 Likes

I tried clicking on your download link but it returns a 404 error. Has it been moved to somewhere else?

Yeah new one is this: python-lottie: Downloads

Edit BobSynfig:
Please see here now

4 Likes

Hello @Glax I’m new with Synfig. I’m looking for a software alternative for AFX that I could use to create subtitles for karaoke using the ASS format (Substation Alpha).

I’ve found that there’s a script used for exporting ASS subtitle draw instructions into Aegisub. (HardSub)

I’ve also found this library written in Python3 to create Karaoke animations. (Softsubs)

I’ve found svg2ass too, but I think that just works with static svg.

My question is, would you think it could be possible to export an animation from Synfig to ASS code using your python-lottie plugin?

it should be possible to export as frame by frame SVGs

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply, it would be nice to have this option in Synfig.

While I get a better solution I will be trying to use those other options.

Hi thanks for your plug-in it’s very nice
But I had a problem converting svgs to sif (iam using the stand alone version)
Some layers and outlines randomly are converted to dark layers here is a example data.zip (105.4 KB)

Hi, when I try to export to svg it says “Plugin execution failed: Failed to execute helper program (Invalid argument)”
I’m using the 1.5.1 development version of synfig on windows 10. My project has a mixture of vector and raster layers.

@RektuiemForAMeme
Hi, this is a known issue that should have been fixed in the last dev builds.
Beware they are just baked and could still be hot :wink:

Thanks, I was able to run the plugin with the last build. One note for anyone else using this to export to svg, it crashed and didn’t export if the scene had any groups or spline vertices that were linked to bones of a skeleton. Weirdly, synfig doesn’t seem to remove the bone links if you delete the skeleton. I had to manually convert each vertex to Composite to get it to export. There might be a faster way to do that, idk. Either way, thanks @Glax for the plugin :+1:

1 Like

I can’t seem to find the plugin download link
The open I opened on gitlab said I didn’t have permission to view it

The link has a bit changed Releases · Glax / python-lottie · GitLab

3 Likes

This seemed very helpful for my project but it doesn’t play nice at all with bones. Linking groups to bones warps them and doesn’t animate at all, and linking points to bones throws “ValueError: No point in bone_link”

Yea I think bones were something I didn’t fully figure out so support for them is very lacking

1 Like

If you don’t mind, I’d like to mess with the code a little to see if I can get it up and running.

Sure, it’s open-source: lib/lottie/parsers/sif · master · Glax / python-lottie · GitLab

1 Like

Hi @Glax,

Your Synfig plugin only exports to.tsg, right?
why does it not exports to other formats such as Lottie or SVG? is there any limitation in Synfig or it is just that you didn’t extend the Synfig plugin to accept other formats?

If it is possible, please, could you tell me how?

FYI, now Synfig plug-ins can have a dialog when running to retrieve information, it would be a great use of this feature to have a simple dialog to ask for the format you want to export your .sif animation :grin:

Follow here for more information and here for my plug-in with dialog (take it as a working example)

Thanks!

EDIT: fix links

it can import and export the formats mentioned

Maybe I’m doing something wrong but, with plugin v0.7 installed in Synfig it only displays the TSG exporter option… am I missing anything?

Thanks

These are the options you should see: addons/synfig/pylot-exporter/plugin.xml · master · Glax / python-lottie · GitLab

1 Like