Morevna Project general discussion

Alright, good. ;D

“Moe”? Like the over-exaggerated anime/manga style?

Alright, that’s fine. I think I will submit some sketches of my ideas. (sometime soon…) Yes, that’s the main thing I’ve been using… besides a manga tut I’ve used a some…

Best wishes!

-b

hmmm… did someone just say Motoko?

trying to be inspiring.

I’ve summarized the task here:
morevnaproject.org/wiki/index.ph … e=Soldiers
Feel free to edit.

It’s OK to have bad guys drawn in little different style. You could find a lot of such examples in anime.

wall[e]:
Generally I satisfied with a style you demonstrated on the image above (second image didn’t show up though).
Here’s my thoughts on soldiers:

(Same on morevnaproject.org/wiki/index.ph … rs#Uniform)

Hey wall[e]! you know human body proportions and language!
Is it my brain or do you tend to incline your drawings to the left side? Are you left-handed?

-G

@wall[e] - wow, you’re artwork (head and figure drawing and understanding of the body (including proportions)) is better than I knew! I really like your colored representation of Morevna! Beautiful work.

About the soldier’s design: the boots look good, but perhaps too futuristic? This story is set in the future, but perhaps the boots are too robotic. Does the government have large funding for the armed forces in this film or are they low on money? If they are being economical (or stingy) with their soldier’s equipment, perhaps it would be more realistic to have the boots be made of a flexible mater (like rubber or leather) instead of the metal plates, etc.

Having the “generic” soldier’s eye’s covered in shadow is not (in my opinion) the best option. Keeping by-stander’s generic is one method and a logical one at that, however, the eye’s are the main communication of the thoughts (the emotions are through the mouth/lips,) and so we would be taking away from the interest of the soldiers. Besides that, making all the soldiers a generic Stormtrooper clone can quickly become dull, whereas individual soldiers with individual looks, feelings, and actions heightens the interest and creates greater realism to the audience.

I will endeavor to submit some of my drawings soon… perhaps to the wiki.

Best wishes, and God bless!

-b

Yeah, wall[e]'s understanding of anatomy is really impressive.

For Morevna image I missing the long lock on the right.

I prefer soldiers have a futuristic uniform. The soldiers poorly equipped not because of the low funding of the government (but not high at the same time), but because all their weapon was destroyed by Morevna just before Ivan arrived.

Covering soldiers eyes with black really closes the main communication of the thoughts and that’s good. Because it shows them senseless at current stages and not switching attention to them away from the main characters.

Good job, wall[e]! I need to work on my head and figure drawing a TON more!

OK.

Alright…

Hmmm, maybe. If the soldier’s are senseless, what’s the point of them being human beings at all? As much as we don’t want to distract from the main focus, muting side characters (even these six motley, futuristic soldiers) could be less-than-the best… however, thinking about it more, this is a really short clip of the film, a demo, and these soldier’s may never be seen again in the film (unless they appear earlier or Maria doesn’t kill them,) and we don’t necessarily need to see their eye’s ALL the time…

Here’s a suggestion: when we want thoughts projecting through these soldiers, we show their eyes, like in a close up or the soldiers glancing at eachother to shake their heads and agree “Yeah, sure, why not? Let’s go after the two kids ticking us off…”, but hide (shadow) their eyes at other points, like if one of them rises from the dust of the battle, the sunset glaring from behind him… beautiful… shadows, contrast, mystery, he wields a boot knife to stab Ivan in the back, but Morevna defends him, stabbing right by Ivan, impaling the soldier mid-stride behind Ivan… ideas, ideas…

Preparing my images, btw…

If you want me to post these on the wiki I can, but for now…

Here are some drawings/sketches I have been working on recently. The colored image is concept art (not the best, but it took me a long time.) Sadly enough to say, the whole process of getting my pictures from sketchpad to final image to upload takes a long time, so expect images in bunches.

Well, here ya go:

By banor at 2008-10-01
Learning to draw Ivan… ugh, don’t look at the large, darkly shaded, angled UGLY one! LOL. ;D

By banor at 2008-10-01
More sketches of Ivan, etc.

By banor at 2008-10-01
Upper-left corner: no, not the way I want the scar-faced soldier to look. Morevna isn’t right yet… (I really like wall[e]'s interpretation of her, though!) and once again a (disproportionate) full-figure sketch of the scar-faced commander, closer to what I want. Uni-ID tag design going on (see next image’s description,) and some face ideas.

By banor at 2008-10-01
Various drawings: Ivan, head proportions drawing concept, universal id dogtags (in the armed forces of this world these dogtags serve as their identification, credit card, screwdriver, serrated knife, straight edge knife, and, if shined enough, a mini-mirror. Besides that, there is a half-silencer on the id tags, as well as a metal “spine” cord (Note: probably not the correct term for that kind of cord.) I like this universal id dogtag idea quite a bit, but what do you think?

By banor at 2008-10-01
Concept art: The Encounter (Morevna rises to aid Ivan)

Things to improve on: head and figure, proportions, digital painting, speeding up workflow.
Up next? >gulp, sigh< … is: draw expressions of Ivan. :smiley: :slight_smile: :frowning: :astonished: :open_mouth: :confused: 8) :laughing: :angry: :stuck_out_tongue: :blush: :cry: :smiling_imp: :wink: :neutral_face: :mrgreen:

Praise Jesus! Glad to have finally contributed some content (not just constructive critique, etc.)

Thanks!
-b

P.S. Now time for some sleep… zzzzz… LOL, thanks you all!
P.P.S. Legal stuff: All images should be licensed under the Creative Commons license. Which particular license and the actual binding of that license will be decided upon and made at the end of this open source anime film project endeavor.

Thanks guys, I’ll be working on it some more and from this point
I’ll stick with the wiki when I have anything new.

Alright.

wall[e]:
Will wait!

Banor:

BTW, I liked the idea of changing shadow layer from Normal to Overlay. Should look how it will work in synfig…

Really glad to see you started too. It is interesting to watch your progress.
Don’t be upset what making color concept image, scanning, postprocessing and publishing takes so much time. Soon you get used to it if you continue to do it regularly. And, yes, animation is a time consuming. :slight_smile:

Punky Ivan is very fun. I liked the idea of the id dogtag too. Not sure how is it safe to wear straight edge knife near the neck, though. :wink:

Because the only “monster” in this world is Koshchei. He is unique.

It’s a good idea about showing their eyes at the particular moments. But not sure this moments will take place in the demo. To help with the ideas I will post 3D background layout a bit later.

Just for fun, so you guys not feel alone at that path, posting this:

Hey, thanks Zelgadis!

Glad to see a reply to my work… :laughing:

Yeah, a sharp razor knife right there may be … uh, unwise to say the least. ;D But badguys don’t always think through the consequences. LOL.

About that… not saying that they should be monsters, but them being emotionless (not having human feelings and thought-provoked actions) will weaken their character… but for this demo, yeah, sure, most of the time they can be “shadowed”. (Our new, special term.)

Thanks for posting an image… it’s good to see your process as well. ;D

-b

Hello! :mrgreen:

Welcome, Nuts!

Thanks for the images and I’m glad you’re joining us!

Best wishes,

-b

Month snapshot: morevnaproject.org/2008/10/07/de … mber-2008/

great. nice fluid fight with Ivan (?) Looking forward to the final product down the road.

Need to scan, upload, post another drawing.

REALLY need to work on Ivan’s expression sheet.

Thanks!
-b

Go, Banor, go! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Zelgadis, that’s encouraging to know that I am not under severe pressure to get that done fast… there are other things I need to do, like a get something to DVD, update the homepage etc. on a writing website, design a poster soon… yeah, anyhow.

-b

Banor:
Important! please consider our latest discussion with wall[e], which could be found here: dooglus.rincevent.net/synfig/log … -10-10.log

thanks, read most of that conversation. However, I was unable to access wall[e]'s version of Ivan. Please post a new link here so I can see it.

Thanks…

-b