Your suggestions for upcoming weekly report

Hi guys! I think it would be nice if we will have specific thread, where everyone can suggest topics to highlight in next weekly report. :slight_smile:

Currently I am writing a weekly report by watching commits coming to master branch. It is possible my eye might skip some important events, or someone might come up with better explanations/comments to be included into report. Also maybe someone would like to step in and help with preparing reports, so the process wouldn’t depend purely on me alone. So, it would be nice if we can collaborate together on writing weekly reports here, this will make process more fun.

What do you think, @ice0 @rodolforg @FirasH @BobSynfig @Keyikedalube @veermetri05 @Khemardi and others? ^___^

5 Likes

Here’s the text I have for upcoming weekly report. It would be nice to have a cover image for it, any ideas about the image? :slight_smile:

Weekly Report (September 6 - 12)

Hi guys! Here’s what’s new in Synfig code for last week:

• [Fix] Fixed soundwave for some audio files that couldn’t be loaded (#2301).
  • [Fix] Fix keyframe markers not updated on TimeTrack (#2289).
  • [Fix] Fix possible crash on get_local_name() of Layer_PasteCanvas (#2300).
  • [Code cleanup] Remove unused classes (#2298).
  • [Code cleanup] Replaced using std/etl namespaces with explicit namespace name (#2292).

That’s all for today! Thanks to everyone who helps to make Synfig better!

hm… an audio wave? XD

Sounds like a wonderful idea :smiley:

Yeah, maybe soundwave in Synfig’s Sound Panel. :slight_smile:

We have one more commit landed to master branch - Update time track area when keyframe is changed from keyframe header … · synfig/synfig@96f9856 · GitHub

So, adding it to report like this:

[Fix] Fix keyframe markers not updated on TimeTrack (#2289).

Hi Konstantin - I would be happy to write the reports if you and others can send me items to be included. No need to create sentences, etc.; I can do that. Would that help?

Kevin Wilcoxon
USA

2 Likes

Hi Kevin! Awesome, this surely will help!

Here’s a list of new commits we have for this week so far:

• 039ec6f When the user imports the file the imported layer becomes selected (#2308) [studio]
  • db9db14 Create a new vertex on a Spline on double-click (#2312) [studio]
  • feb62c5 Replaced abs with std::fabs for float values and std::abs for templates and int values (#2311) [ETL] [core] [studio]
  • 54ba18f Added support MLT+±7 in Autotools (#2306) [core]

What’s needed:

• Look through those commits and add text clarifications about changes, where needed. It usually helps to look at relevant PRs (links starting with “#”) - there could be some additional helpful information there or in linked issues (bugreports).
  • Try to find a cover image or video or gif which illustrates one of the changes listed in the report.

Maybe someone have any other ideas what we can highlight in this report?
For example it is great to highlight some notable examples of Synfig usage. I have found this cool example from @microvswind - Motion graphic made in synfig - #11 by microvswind

Oh, and yeah, maybe it worth to mention that Morevna Project (ahem, shameless plug :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:) have published animatic preview of upcoming Pepper&Carrot Episode, which is purely made in Synfig? - Pepper&Carrot Episode 4 Animatic - Morevna Project

1 Like

@kwilco
Hey, Kevin! Will you be able to help with this report? We will need the text tomorrow by 9:00 AM. :slight_smile:

I’m on it now. Will send ASAP.

1 Like

Not sure how to get everything to you, but here it is:

Good morning Synfig enthusiasts! Here’s what’s happening this week.

New Commits (making tentative changes permanent):

[https://wiki.synfig.org%2Fimages%2Fb%2Fb0%2FSpline_Example.png&f=1&nofb=1]

• Adding new spline vertex: db9db14 Create a new vertex on a Spline using double-click (#2312) [studio]
  • New layer select: 039ec6f When the user imports the file the imported layer becomes selected (#2308) [studio]
  • Using float and interger values: feb62c5 Replaced abs with std::fabs for float values and std::abs for templates and int values (#2311) [ETL] [core] [studio]
  • Multi-level transport Version 7: 54ba18f Added support MLT+±7 in Autotools (#2306) [core]

Motion Graphics

A sample motion graphic from the talented microvswind of China:

https://forums.synfig.org/uploads/default/original/2X/3/3f3e97c466a607acac93175400c5f298d9b3667a.gif

Morvina Project

Check out draft Episode 4 of Pepper & Carrot. That darn cat! See other Project animation shorts too. Support open source animation!

3 Likes

I’m so sorry that this is late. I didn’t get your original reply in my email. Also sorry for being so dense.

Kevin

2 Likes

@kwilco Thank you for help!
However, here are some issues:

1. Your text is not properly formatted:
    • images are not shown
    • weird highlight (surrounding text with ``, that is supposed to refer to a code, for example)
  2. There is a typo: It’s Morevna, not Morvina
  3. You tried to explain two words, but your explanation is wrong. Not your fault, they’re technical terms.
    • Commit: in this context, we refer to a source code modification (or modifications) that we integrate to the project official source code.
    • PR or Pull Request: not used here, but since commit was explained, I explain it too: someone proposes one (or more) commit to the project.
    • MLT: It’s a multimedia library (in Windows, users are use to refer as DLL). We use it for sound layer and sound panel support.

It would be good to have a static image or a GIF to highlight the post, as @KonstantinDmitriev said:

• It could be related to a new feature (or fix) that was committed this week; or
  • Any cool usage/show case of Synfig.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

@kwilco No problem, this is not late - I forgot to mention that the time is in GMT, so we still have a few hours. ^__^" Thank you for taking first step in making this report!

Thanks to @rodolforg for reviewing and pointing to the issues!

Here are also my suggestions:

• I suggest to avoid technical term “commits” and write “Code changes & improvements” instead of “New commits …”
  • I think it is okay to have a single section to talk about microvswind’s and Morevna - we can name it “Usage cases”
  • I think it is important to mention that the published “Pepper&Carrot” video is still a draft (animatic).

Yes, in this case we can feature a graphics by microvswind in header. :slight_smile:
I suggest to feature this one (as it looks more complicated) and give a link to his thread, so readers can watch all his works.

Here’s what’s I’ve got for the text now (we still have 3 hours before publishing, so please add your suggestions or edits, as my English grammar is far from perfect :slight_smile: ):

Weekly Report (September 13 - 19)

Good time of the day to all Synfig enthusiasts! Here’s what’s happening this week:

Code changes & improvements

• Users asked us to have a simple way to add a new vertex point to Outline or Region. And now it is possible to create a new vertex on a Spline on double-click! (see PR #2312)
  • When the user imports the file the imported layer now becomes selected (#2308).
  • Fixed an issue with broken Halftone 2 layer (#2311).
  • Now it is possible to compile Synfig with version 7 of MLT+ when building with Autotools (#2306).

Usage cases

In this report we would like to feature a work by microvswind, who is sharing his animations made with Synfig in this forum thread. The cover image featured at the top of this post is also made by him.

Another notable usage case is coming from Morevna Project - recently they have published a draft preview (i.e. animatic) of upcoming Pepper&Carrot Motion Comic Episode, which is purely made in Synfig. The final work will also be made with Synfig.

And that’s all for today! Thanks to everyone who helps to make Synfig better!

I will keep trying if it’s OK. Tell me if you’d rather I didn’t. Would you send me a short timeline of to-do steps for each week?

3 Likes

Shouldn’t we use “we” instead of “I” ?

“In this report we would like to feature”

Previously only KonstantinDmitriev wrote the reports, now this is a team work so I think it is appropriate to use “we” over “I”.

Also the old Synfig Wiki guidelines for contributor suggests to use we over I

2 Likes

Yes, I definitely prefer if you will continue! I am sure everyone understands that writing reports requires some learning process and it is awesome if someone involved in this process besides me alone. Also, it it gets easier to write report when we can discuss it (comparing to writing everything on my own). :slight_smile:

Here is the timeline I proposing:

• by Saturday everyone posting their ideas here - what they would like to see in next report
  • on Saturday we prepare a list of changes (commits) made during the week
  • on Sunday draft text is posted for discussion
  • Monday 9:00 GMT - final text posted.

Agree! I have edited the text. Thank you! :slight_smile:

I have posted report now - Weekly Reports (2021) - #39 by KonstantinDmitriev

Hi! Here’s a list of new commits we have for this week so far :slight_smile: -

• 88c9e97 Made shared_objects non-copyable (#2291) [ETL] [core]
  • 5ffa792 Fix dialog responses for user pressing Esc key (#2309) [studio]
  • c78c447 Minor cleanup in CreateChildBone action (#2315) [studio]
  • 576c349 Autotools: Remove @MAGICKPP_LIBS@ variable from LDFLAGS(#2326) [core]
  • 391f8a1 Fix magick++ target missing in AppImage (issue #2320) (#2324) [core]
  • be2b1db Improve hints for Dash item parameters (#2314) [core]
  • 590560f Switched Ubuntu version on Github Workflows to 18.04 (#2322)
  • 23d997a Merge PR #2303: SVG parser: refactor style parser [core]
  • 7f1444e Don’t let inner layer be duplicated twice when copying (#2317) [studio]

@kwilco