As mentioned here are the links:

Synfig Studio binaries for all Linux versions:
download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/releases

ETL, synfig and synfigstudio source code packages:
download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/releases/sources

and this is the change log (not sorted by importance, just listed):

synfig-core:

• Code documentation. Not full yet.
  • Adapt api.sh script to run as a cron job at tuxfamily servers. Now API is updated at download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/api/index.html
  • Rename secondary layer’s Z column to “Icon” and make it not reorderable. Make “Name” column resizable.
  • Britain English translation. Robert Readman.
  • Fix Bug #3029832 Time Offset parameter fails for multiple times imported files
  • Simplified Chinese translation. Yu Chen
  • New “By Layer Default” blend method. Now some layers define its own blend method instead of Composite or the selected by user. For example Shade->Behind
  • Fix bug #2958077. Incorrect fps in ListImporter
  • New Stroboscope Layer. Ray Fredesikson
  • Added “Static” option for individual parameters. If “Static” is on, then in animation mode it is no created any waypoint when modified. Only valid for layer parameters and constant value nodes.
  • Fix bug #3060560. Link two tangents and one is animated, the animated is not used.
  • Smart linking bline tangents implementation. Now all tangents are yellow ducks.
  • Move reverse manipulation code to Value Desc. This allows recursive reverse manipulation for valuenodes which has inverse manipulation implemented.

synfigstudio:

• Code restructure
  • Fixed load and save Palette feature. Use spal as extension.
  • Don’t limit bitrate to 1000 in target parameters.
  • Britain English translation. Robert Readman.
  • Full rework of the Synfig Studio icons. Yu Chen
  • More translatable strings.
  • Simplified Chinese translation. Yu Chen
  • New “By Layer Default” blend method. Now some layers define its own blend method instead of Composite or the selected by user. For example Shade->Behind
  • Added “Static” option for individual parameters. If “Static” is on, then in animation mode it is no created any waypoint when modified. Only valid for layer parameters and constant value nodes.
  • Smart linking bline tangents implementation. Now all tangents are yellow ducks.
  • Move reverse manipulation code to Value Desc. This allows recursive reverse manipulation for valuenodes which has inverse manipulation implemented.
  • Splash Screen for development snapshots. Konstantin Dmitriev

As you can see, although there are some interesting new features, this is a minor release.

Please feed back with:
-Translation patches. Beware that the string: “Set Static”, “Unset Static” and “Static” will be renamed to “Forbid Animation”, “Allow Animation” and “Static” respectively. I’ll update the original strings in the next RC.
-Installation tests (binaries and sources)
-Windows binary creation issues.
-Remaining new or old noticeable bugs. Specially with the new changes.

-G

so far i noticed an important drop of speed with grids enabled, and also is interesting that now all the ducks are yellow, i tried linking various types of shapes with ducks and tangents, is pretty interesting i say this is one of the most requested minor features =), i’m still trying everything it has, but so far is looking pretty good.

Tested on Xubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat, XFCE4 Desktop

Can you be a bit more precise? speed in the render time in canvas? speed in the ducks render or handling? Can you provide a way to measure that loose of speed (i.e. a file and a procedure to notice it). Apart of the change of place of the reverse manipulation of the ducks we haven’t made any change that justify that grids triggers a loose of performance. I’ll play a bit with it to see if I notice the same but if the computer is fast enough I doubt I can notice it.
Thanks for report anyway :slight_smile:
-G

On it’s performance (render time in canvas), i drew a pair of shapes, two circles, and moved with wheel mouse middle button the viewport and everything was fine, if i enable grid to show (does not happen if only grid snap is enabled) the time it takes for the screen to render increase, without grids i can estimate that the rate in frames per second of my viewport is from 25 to 30 fps, with grids enabled it looks like 6 or 10 fps, adjusting quality settings does nothing to solve the drop of speed, nor other process or programs are open at the time of use Synfig Studio, the anterior release was completely removed and folder /.synfig was deleted before RC1 instalation.

Ok, we are closer to a concise recipe. Please let me repeat the steps to reproduce:

1. Start Synfig Studio (RC1 binaries amd64 debian in my case. AMD Turion X2 Ultra Dual Core Mobile + ATI Radeon )
  2. Draw two shapes (outline + region) with some blinepoints (say 5 each)
  3. Draw two circles
  4. Without any layer selected and with the grid disabled, middle click the canvas and drag it quickly. The shapes are in and out of the viewport of the canvas with the frequency I drag them. It is expected that the canvas follow the mouse mostly at the same speed it is being dragged.
  5. Now enable gird and repeat dragging movements of the step 4) you obtain lags on the render of the shapes and it doesn’t follow the mouse properly

Is that? If so, I can’t reproduce. If it isn’t the detailed recipe, please rework it.
-G

is correct, it’s enough with enable grids to notice this, with and without shapes this happen, also i opened from terminal Synfig and i had this output, is there anything relevant?:

[code] synfig studio – starting up application…

synfig(16574) [03:31:26 PM] info: Loading modules from /opt/synfig/etc/synfig_modules.cfg

(synfigstudio:16574): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/h13n-h3n/.config/ibus/bus is not h13n-h3n!

(synfigstudio:16574): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class gtkmm__CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE doesn’t implement property ‘editing-canceled’ from interface ‘GtkCellEditable’
Quit Request
synfig(16574) [03:32:13 PM] error: KeyframeActionManager::refresh(): Not ready!
synfig(16574) [03:32:14 PM] error: KeyframeActionManager::refresh(): Not ready!
Quit Request sent
synfig(16574) [03:32:14 PM] info: DockManager::unregister_dockable(): “pal_edit” has been Unregistered
Application appears to have terminated successfully[/code]
i’m checking that suspicious thing of not being the owner of ibus/bus, but i don’t think that is causing the problem

This is the message that I don’t obtain in my terminal when I run Synfig Studio and do the recipe. Can you check if that message appears only when check the grid? Or what’s the action that triggers that message?
Also I don’t know why synfigstudio is showing that message. Is Synfig Studio using ibus. Possibly yes if you have ibus installed.
Anyway I don’t find a reason that explains that loose of performance. Do you have other computer to do the same test? In the slower computer I have available (this HP Pavillion Tablet with Ubuntu 10.04) I cannot reproduce the issue.

-G

Well, i have Xubuntu 10.10 XFCE4 Desktop in an Acer Laptop 5315 with 512 of RAM and Intel Celeron, but i discovered that the problem comes from the current distribution of GTK+ (Gnome?, XFCE4), since i have no other PC to make tests, i tried with alternative Distros, one of this called Slax (KDE4) and everything was normal, since stable version of Synfig worked good so far with Ubuntu 10.04, i re-installed again package 0.62.01 of Synfig Studio, and the problem persist with grids and speed rendering the canvas, leading me to think that version 10.10 of X/Ubuntu have something different on it’s GTK+ libs, since you are using 10.4 for the release i can’t warrant that everything bad i find is a bug, as ‘something’ certainly changed =(, perhaps, i’ll have to wait until stable version as i can’t make a downgrade due to several things i have on my system.

Well, it is a clue. I’ll install 10.10 in a virtual machine to see what happens.
-G

Tested the 0.62.02-RC1 installation in a Ubuntu 10.10 machine and still cannot reproduce the problem.
-G

[size=150]Code is ready for translation updates. Please send patches.[/size]
:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
-G

=C i don’t know what can be the problem, it just happens and i depend a lot from the grid =( =( =(

Do you have another machine or other friend machine to reproduce the effect?
Anyone else in the forum has a similar problem?
-G

my brother has the same model of laptop i own, but he is running windows xp, there is no build for windows and he is the kind of persons that gets bored and annoyed really quick if things take so much time (i.e. build Synfig from source code) there is no other person i know in the forum having this problem, can you make again the test but with ‘Xubuntu’ via virtual box? some programs are behaving pretty much like Synfig lagging or freezing with simple task (i really hope this doesn’t have anything to do with Xubuntu, because i really like it)

I’m not seeing the grid slowdown. But then I have a fast machine. :frowning:

maybe i should face the truth, i’ll have to get a new PC, sadly, this will take a little bit long.

sourceforge.net/projects/synfig/ … e/download
if anyone wants to play with the window version. The splashscreen is messed up right now… but everything else seems to be working at a first glance.

Chris

Sorry (or perhaps not sorry for that) no, don’t have grid slowdown issues.
Just been briefly testing the RC and form what I see it works alright.
Will test more.

i toke a record of my desktop of this problem i’m very bad at video editing so i somehow messed the aspect ratio.- youtube.com/watch?v=mLzXq-GtAZk

i tried with simple things like disabling elements, checking the audio, video, input drivers, monitoring tasks, almost anything, since this happened my system have been updated at least one time per day, maybe i downloaded the Xubuntu 10.10 distribution prematurely, nor RC candidates or the alpha version, but the ‘final’ one wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/MaverickMeerkat/Final, since no one have this problem but me, well, i think i’m alone on this, i’m out of ideas now, hopefully something will happen and this problem will disappear as it appeared, with no explanation.

Let me narrow the problem:
32 or 64 bits?
Did you do a completely clean Synfig Studio install?
Can you remove Synfig Studio completely included configuration files and download it again and install again?
(just guessing to find a solution)
Below is what I get on my slow computer. As you can see there is “slow” response with or without grid but no difference between them.
Ubuntu 10.04 64 bits here
youtube.com/watch?v=0eJejw4vcFU

-G