Synfig Studio 0.62.01RC3 binaries and sources available

Here the links:
download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/re … /binaries/
download.tuxfamily.org/synfig/re … C3/source/

And here the News summary:

Synfig Studio:
0.62.01 (git tag: “synfigstudio-0.62.01”) - May 15, 2010 - Bug fixes, features.

• Enable reverse manipulation to range value nodes. Fix bug in value node range.
  • Add new functionalities to the Normal tool. It can rotate (CTRL), scale, (ALT)
    as well as translate. Using SHIFT constraints the three operations.
  • Update Mirror tool to allow use SHIFT to alternate between horizontal and vertical
    mirrors.
  • Enable single threaded renderer for windows version. It increases stability.
  • Fix file chooser label to fit into button size.
  • Stop button now works properly.
  • By default disable extended input devices. Fix a previous introduced bug.
  • Suit custom mouse cursors for some tools.
  • Add code to make possible pass parameters to the renderers. Implementation for ffmpeg.
  • Repack rulers and caret menu to get less space.
  • New italian translation.
  • New parameters for Motion Blur layer. Now allows linear and constant interpolation too.
  • New icons for actions and layers. Thanks to several authors.
  • Fixed feature that reset windows docks to default size and position.
  • Separate the reset setup values to original values feature in a new menu entry.
  • Updated Russian, French and Spanish translation.
  • Automatic build script for linux system. Please report success of usage.
  • Update Help menu entries according to new website.

Synfig
0.62.01 (git tag: “synfig-0.62.01”) - May 15, 2010 - Bug fixes, features.

• Enable reverse manipulation to range value nodes. Fix bug in value node range.
  • Resolve issues with libtool 1.5.26 and 2.2.4.
  • Improve SVG import support. Better support for gradients and some bug fixes.
  • Add code to make possible pass parameters to the renderers. Implementation for ffmpeg.
  • New italian translation.
  • Automatic build script for linux system. Please report success of usage.
  • New parameters for Motion Blur layer. Now allows linear and constant interpolation too.
  • Updated Russian, French and Spanish translation
  • New Italian translation

Translation patches are welcome. Reporting of bugs is welcome too.
Thanks for your support.
-G

You made a little mistake in the link for the sources (the folder they are in is “source” not “sources”)
I’ll give it a try!

Installed from sources, runs OK for now (I’ll do further tests tomorrow).
Just you misspelled my name :laughing: (The h is after the 2nd t, and no u in the name :stuck_out_tongue: ) !

Thanks Animtim. Considering the hour I did the post, I think I had so fe mistakes :wink:
-G

For Windows - sourceforge.net/projects/synfig … e/download

Thanks Genete and others for this great update.

I particularly like the transform tool, fixed and improved SVG import, and can’t wait for dual splash screen :wink:

a few comments:

• some icons still need to be changed: solid colors layers, save all
  • some icons could be changed: timetrack panel, increase amount, decrease amount (some were provided at viewtopic.php?f=14&t=980&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=39 but others would do!)
  • the default windows location is still not perfect (as illustrated in the screenshot below for my 1680x1050 desktop.)
  • horizontal dock a bit out of screen (maybe a 10px bottom margin would look better),
  • vertical dock too high (same 10px bottom margin?),
  • main window and canvas window are overlapping
  • different panels of vertical dock are on top of each other (missing some non zero height?), this may be specific to gtk for Win though… as I don’t remember having this problem in ubuntu.
  • I’d rather have command line window minimized at startup, if possible.
  • I’d like a default layout that would put “info” and “palette editor” panels behind “navigator” panel… more efficient to me.
  • I can not load a sound file. trying to select any sound file (wav, mp3, ogg, aif) generates the same error: “could not load the file…”
  • most ffmpeg presets seem not to work, OGG with libtheora does though. Is there any chance to get my favorite render modes working? (H264 single pass crf 25; h264 dual pass and FLV 2kbps, as described in synfig.org/wiki/Tips#Possibl … for_ffmpeg)

Bereth,
thanks for take time on reviewing the new candiadate.
Is this the first time you install Synfig in that computer and operating system? If so, something is wrong then. If this is the second time, it might remember the old settings and then you have to call the "Reset windows to original position to make it work. It should.
Regarding to icons, yes, there are pending icons but I didn’t implemented them because I don’t like the proposed ones because its lack of homogeneity.
Do not try to load the sound file. It won’t work.
Yes, ffmpeg needs to be fixed. It is hard to keep the ffmpeg codecs up to date when the strings that is needed to pass depends on external libraries. For example h264 is not ffmpeg native and it wont work if the x264 libraries are installed.
-G

Hi genete,

I tried again (removed Synfig, checked that directory user setting\my user\Synfig was indeed deleted, reinstalled) and the only remaining problems are

• overlapping canvas and toolbox
  • horizontal dock too low (the bottom horizontal slider is invisible when my task bar is set to “autohide”, it’s even worse if my taskbar is visible)

Hitting “reset windows to original layout” relocates the dock too low too.

About the ffmpeg and others renderers : would it be easy to have a list of presets stored in the user settings file along with a label?
The users (incl. me for ffmpeg) could keep a wiki page up-to-date with a set of labels and command line arguments where you would allow for no external parameter to be added at “render” time in synfig… but just give a few “placeholders” that would come from the synfig call, such as “output_file_name”, “synfig_file_path” or “sound_file_path”.

More advanced (or lazy) users could “easily” tweak this section of their own “settings” file if needed.

By the way I meant x264 (bundled with ffmpeg) instead of h264, works great under linux and windows alike.

About the icons: feel free to tell me what “style” you’d like and I can try to make some more.

Thanks again,
B.

yup, now that’s quite better, still it’s strange select ducks with ctrl and having at the same time the rotation cursor icon, if you want my opinion, you can reserve the rotation cursor for rotation tool itself, and taking the Normal’s ctrl-rotation as a quick operation which no necessary would need the rotation cursor icon.

the stop button in the canvas’s window? the one which has on it’s side the refresh button? i made the test, but the stop button never seem to be enabled, nor even while rendering is taking progress, this unless i’m mistaking the stop button:

Synfig seems to work nice as always, but i’ll do further test.

berteh - Sound is not supported. We should really hide any indications that imply we do support it.

I’ll take a look at the ffmpeg defaults. My (limited) testing in RC2 didn’t show any obvious problems once I’d updated to a version of FFMPEG that supported -metadata.

H13N.H3N, the stop button works for the tools. It returns any state tool to the Normal tool (now Transform). The fix for stop the rendering still pending, yes.
Berteh, it is not possible to know the size of the lower bar in windows so the position of the lower horizontal window is not correct. In Linux the windows manager moves up the window to the correct position avoiding the lower or upper bars. It doesn’t happen in windows and it is not possible to give a global solution for that.

-G

That’s immensely stupid from windows folks, or gtk developers for win… too bad.

OK so summarizing the release:
Windows:

1. It still remaining the SHIFT key for mirror tool. It is supossed that nikitakit is going to fix that during the weekend.
  2. The random splash screen still giving me headaches :frowning:. I’ve installed the RC3 windows binaries in two different computers (one XP and one Vista) and it shows always the same splash (the circles in the Vista one and the stars in the XP one) This is annoying!!!. I think I’ll try to load and save the last splash used and show the alternative one the next time that Synfig Studio is launched. So there is not randomness and just 50%. Pixelgeek, have you ever seen the dual splash working properly??
  3. The lower horizontal dock for default values is going to be overlapped by the windows lower bar in this release and I think it won’t be fixed. There is not Gtk interface to know the dimensions of the lower or any bar. It is the windows manager who must do it.

Linux and Windows:

1. The initial instance position is placed by the windows manager according to its preferences. Most of the times it will be below the toolbox (0,0) but I’ve run synfigstudio from a terminal and the new instance window appears snapped on the right of the terminal window, so it is not a fixed place. At the moment it is not easy to place it to a predefined place and for me is not a blocker for the release.
  2. In the IRC there is a conversation between pixelegek and nikitakit talking about a new bug that happens when you quit the application with a modifier key pressed. It turns the application unable to re-start. It is a nasty bug and nikitakit mentioned to try to fix it too.
  3. The ffmpeg parameters are not correct. When we (eldriuin and I) coded the ffmpeg target parameter parser implemented a set of predefined parameters (vcodec and bitrate) to pass to the ffmpeg renderer. It seems that some of the parameters depends on external libraries and even depends on the ffmpeg version installed. I will do some modifications to allow the user use a custom vcodec string to pass to the renderer. That would help some people to fix that problem. In the next release I’ll try to see how to manage that to avoid uncompatibilites with ffmpeg.
  4. There is a patch for French translation and maybe any other want to update the translation too. Translators, please check carefully the Help menu entries from the Toolbox. If the page doesn’t exists you should create a redirect on the wiki to the english version. Also remember that the support page is a website page that will be automatically redirtected to your native language if the translated page exists.

I will release a new candidate as soon as possible. Please download and install and checkout if the bugs intended to be fixed are fixed. Although some bugs still there, if they are not a blockers, we shouldn’t wait for ever to release the new version until all the known bugs are fixed. We can release a tiny version bump later if the number of fixed bugs deserve it.

Thanks again for the patience.
-G

Darn! after do not use Synfig Studio for a while and restart it again, it selects the other splash and get sticked to it!! I’m on the Vista computer now and it shows stars only! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
-G

good summary genete.

Yes, that’s exactly the behaviour I’m seeing. Check it ten’s of times in a row and get the same result. Complain to genete in IRC, ignore it for a bit, retry and then you’re stuck on the other splashscreen. Random just isn’t that random.

Testing RC3 in Linux Mint 9 (Ubuntu 10.04), the window positions are not remembered and the star splash is the only one that shows up.

The “Synfig Animation 1” window always starts in the lower right hand corner. There were no previous installs of Synfig.

Thanks doomonyou for the report.
It is weird that you report those errors because I’ve tested that version in a fresh ubuntu 10.04 install and it doesn’t have those glitches. When you say that the window positions are not remembered you mean between synfigstudio sessions, right? Does the “restore windows to original layout” command, work?
Regarding to the random splash, have you tried to run more times synfigstudio? it should print out in the console a “1” for the stars and a “2” for the circles.
The new instance window’s position is not controlled by the program but by the windows manager. In my computer it starts in several places depending on the previously focused window position and size. So the position of the new instance is not a synfigstudio issue for the moment. There is not code to control that by now.
Can you please remove/rename the $HOME/.synfig/settings file and start it over? after that, please post here the new created settings file and the changed one after you replace the windows to your preferences and quit synfigstudio again.

I suspect that linux mint has the windows hint value to bottom right instead of to top left (the origin of coordinates is bottom right the screen).

If I have time I’ll install linux mint in a virtual machine and will test it. By the way, do you have a dual screen setup?

Thanks for replying
-G

[size=150]Pixelgeek urgent!![/size]
When I install the RC3 and run synfigstudio in a Windows XP machine I got this:

The computer is “Spanished” (as you can see the prompt of the terminal) so I think that it is a problem of use the predefined “C:\Programs Files\Synfig\images” to find the path of the icons. Why did it work in the previos RC and now it doesn’t? The code has not changed in that area AFAIK.
-G

The splash screen was not a bug, just a long string of star splashes as I just discovered. You can disregard that.

About window positions, yes it is between sessions. Restore original layout places it in the same corner. Deleting $HOME/.synfig/settings places the window in the upper left hand corner like it should be but no matter if I move it or not the window now shows up in other sessions in random corners.
Fresh settings file:pref.auto_recover_backup_interval=180000 pref.browser_command=xdg-open pref.custom_filename_prefix=Synfig Animation pref.distance_system=u pref.file_history.size=25 pref.gamma=0.454545 0.454545 0.454545 0.000000 pref.predefined_fps=Custom fps pref.predefined_size=Custom Size pref.preferred_fps=24.000000 pref.preferred_x_size=480 pref.preferred_y_size=270 pref.resize_imported_images=0 pref.restrict_radius_ducks=0 pref.time_format=0 pref.use_colorspace_gamma=1 dock.dialog.1.comp_selector=1 dock.dialog.1.contents=navigator - info pal_edit - tool_options history canvases - layers groups dock.dialog.1.contents_size=122 92 168 dock.dialog.1.pos=818 0 dock.dialog.1.size=204 714 dock.dialog.2.comp_selector=0 dock.dialog.2.contents=params children keyframes | timetrack curves meta_data dock.dialog.2.contents_size=204 dock.dialog.2.pos=0 522 dock.dialog.2.size=808 192 input_device.Core Pointer.axes=0 input_device.Core Pointer.blend_method=0 input_device.Core Pointer.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Core Pointer.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Core Pointer.keys=0 input_device.Core Pointer.mode=disabled input_device.Core Pointer.normal.constrain=0 input_device.Core Pointer.normal.rotate=0 input_device.Core Pointer.normal.scale=0 input_device.Core Pointer.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Core Pointer.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Core Pointer.state=normal input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.axes=0 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.blend_method=0 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.keys=0 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.mode=disabled input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.state=normal input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.axes=0 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.blend_method=0 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.keys=0 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.mode=disabled input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.state=normal input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.axes=0 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.blend_method=0 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.keys=0 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.mode=disabled input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.state=normal window.color.pos=0 0 window.color.size=281 239 window.color.visible=0 window.gradient.pos=0 0 window.gradient.size=244 330 window.gradient.visible=0 window.toolbox.pos=0 0 window.toolbox.size=140 377 window.toolbox.visible=1
After starting synfig studio again:pref.auto_recover_backup_interval=180000 pref.browser_command=xdg-open pref.custom_filename_prefix=Synfig Animation pref.distance_system=u pref.file_history.size=25 pref.gamma=0.454545 0.454545 0.454545 0.000000 pref.predefined_fps=Custom fps pref.predefined_size=Custom Size pref.preferred_fps=24.000000 pref.preferred_x_size=480 pref.preferred_y_size=270 pref.resize_imported_images=0 pref.restrict_radius_ducks=0 pref.time_format=0 pref.use_colorspace_gamma=1 dock.dialog.1.comp_selector=1 dock.dialog.1.contents=navigator - info pal_edit - tool_options history canvases - layers groups dock.dialog.1.contents_size=122 92 168 dock.dialog.1.pos=818 0 dock.dialog.1.size=204 714 dock.dialog.2.comp_selector=0 dock.dialog.2.contents=params children keyframes | timetrack curves meta_data dock.dialog.2.contents_size=204 dock.dialog.2.pos=0 522 dock.dialog.2.size=808 192 input_device.Core Pointer.axes=0 input_device.Core Pointer.blend_method=0 input_device.Core Pointer.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Core Pointer.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Core Pointer.keys=0 input_device.Core Pointer.mode=disabled input_device.Core Pointer.normal.constrain=0 input_device.Core Pointer.normal.rotate=0 input_device.Core Pointer.normal.scale=0 input_device.Core Pointer.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Core Pointer.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Core Pointer.state=normal input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.axes=0 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.blend_method=0 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.keys=0 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.mode=disabled input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Logitech USB Receiver.state=normal input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.axes=0 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.blend_method=0 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.keys=0 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.mode=disabled input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Macintosh mouse button emulation.state=normal input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.axes=0 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.blend_method=0 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.bline_width=1.0000pt input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.fill_color=1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 1.000000 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.keys=0 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.mode=disabled input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.opacity=1.000000 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.outline_color=0.000000 0.000000 0.000000 1.000000 input_device.Virtual core XTEST pointer.state=normal window.color.pos=0 0 window.color.size=281 239 window.color.visible=0 window.gradient.pos=0 0 window.gradient.size=244 330 window.gradient.visible=0 window.toolbox.pos=0 0 window.toolbox.size=140 377 window.toolbox.visible=1

genete - are you running it from the Start menu or from the command line? It won’t work from the command line.

Chris