Node Editor for Synfig

I’m just proposing a draft idea of node editor for synfig here:

• library panel should be converted into a node editor

• parameters/converted parameters can be exported as nodes

• right now exported parameters are linked to the objects parameters/ but after implementing nodes, it can be detached

• nodes can be duplicated

• nodes can be linked to multiple parameters as well

• nodes can be interlinked as well

• drag and drop to connect nodes with object parameters

4 Likes

I am not really sure what you’re trying to communicate here, can you elaborate?

This is exactly how it works now.

They aren’t and they already can be detached (right-click → Disconnect).

By changing their ID? I guess it can be useful if user needs to make a bunch of exported nodes.

They already can be.

They already can be (to a certain degree, you cannot make them truly interlinkable without causing a recursion).

This makes sense, although it usually faster the regular way, because in most cases you need to connect one node to multiple parameters and dragging it across the screen every time isn’t very productive if you ask me. I personally vote for keyboard shortcut for ‘Connect’ action.

Cool idea but already requested.
@Svarov the request is about connecting and duplicating nodes (valuenode/exported values) with some visual representation similar to node editor in Blender.

A issue on GitHub is already created, this is a hard to implement, will take more time, and would be a breaking change to Synfig.

Thanks for the info. I never used Blender so I don’t fully understand the conception, but it does look complicated.

Another draft of node editor for synfig studio.

• Right click on any parameter value to send it to node editor.
    bitmap
  • Node editor will have its own window.
  • All converters now will be treated as nodes.
  • With a hotkey there’ll be a search functionality to search all the nodes.

Following are the ways this node editor could be helpful if implemented :

• It’ll reduce the clutter from the parameters panel by eliminating the nested parameters that result after applying complex conversions.
  • Graphical node editor is way more convenient than using converters in the parameters panel.
  • Node editor will eliminate the need for Library Panel.

If you guys like this concept of node editor, then let’s discuss the features of node editor together. :grinning:

PS: those photos are only for rough representation of the idea. There’re many things in my mind that could be added to the gui.

4 Likes

Well, it’s just a vague idea which I thought worth sharing.

It would be amazing if in future, plugins could be written for nodes as well.