Monthly Challenges

I think Synfig community should introduce monthly or at least seasonally 15sec-1 min animation challenges based on themes, and the winner will get his or her animation featured in Synfig socials.
Any opinions?

5 Likes

It would be even greater if some projects could be shared as samples for the beginners.
ā€œThis is how it was doneā€ :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, a set of rules can be set up for these monthly challenges.

1 Like

Best regard. I think it is a great idea. Whoever wins the challenge could propose the next challenge. I think itā€™s a good idea to also include in the rules that the .sifz files of the animation are always shared.

1 Like

Yeah, itā€™s all good and dandy, but who is gonna organize those monthly challenges? Whoā€™s gonna come up with themes, participate [her|him]self to set an example, manage voting and putting stuff on socials?

I support the idea of course, donā€™t get me wrong, but it would have been nice to see someone actually willing to organize things or it will end up nowhere like in this thread: Show reel - Synfig YouTube channel

P.S. I think monthly is too frequent, seasonally is somewhat more manageable for our small community considering that some people support the idea, but barely have enough time to participate, and weā€™re talking animation which takes a lot of time and effort.

1 Like

After considering everyoneā€™s opinions hereā€™s the rules I propose:

1. There will be 4 seasons each year, each lasting 3 months.
  2. Inkbrush Showcase Season: January to the end of March, Bezier Quest Season:April to the end of June, Shape Symphony Season: July to the end of September, Vector Vista Finale: October to the end of December.
  3. Each season will have a proposed theme.
  4. Participants can make unlimited submissions, but they must adhere to the theme.
  5. Submitted animations must be between 15 and 60 seconds long, All participants must upload their submissions on YouTube with a hashtag #SynfigAanimationChallenge within the duration of the challenge and post the link of their submissions in the forum under the challenge post.
  6. Submissions will close in the last week of each season, followed by voting.
  7. All Synfig community members can vote.
  8. Participants can vote for any animations except their own.
  9. The participant with the most votes will be declared the seasonā€™s winner, and their work will be shared on Synfigā€™s social channels.
  10. The winner will get to choose the theme for the next season.

Your seasons are different from the real ones (both calendar or weather).
Also it would be better to make the animation for the next season, to match the beginning of the featured season, not the end, and by preference using the ā€œweatherā€ seasons.
For example, during Fall (from September to end of November), make a Winter animation.
actuV62

Also note that here in Greece, people wish ā€œĪšĪ±Ī»ĻŒ ĪšĪ±Ī»ĪæĪŗĪ±ĪÆĻĪ¹ā€ (Kalo Kalolkairi - Have a good Summer) from the 1st of March and ā€œĪšĪ±Ī»ĻŒ Ī§ĪµĪ¹Ī¼ĻŽĪ½Ī±ā€ (Kalo chimona - Have a good Winter) before end of August (no joke) ā€¦
We have only 2 seasons it seems :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, it would be great to do a kind of Show Real instead of just one winner (who could be still distinguished/featured).
Not everyone is a pro/semi-pro in animation, nor have the time, it would be only a handful of potential winners with as a result, more demontivational that motivational for beginners.

1 Like

Youā€™re right. For that reason Iā€™m scrapping those names and replacing with these:

1. Inkflow Prelude: Where lines dance and vectors come alive. (January to the end of March)
  2. Bezier Quest: Navigating the curves and control points of creativity. (April to the end of June)
  3. Shape Symphony: Harmonizing geometric forms into captivating animations. (July to the end of September)
  4. Vector Vista Finale: The grand finale, where precision meets imagination. (October to the end of December)

Yeah, this sounds like a great idea! One post for the winner and a showreel to commemorate the participants.

Since videos are gonna be short top 3 or even top 5 contenders could be shown

This post is long over due. We had discussed on it briefly last year Here.
last week I visited a sub on a different platform of a major open source program with more than 1M subscribers but only about 20-30 members participating in monthly challenges.
I have gone through all comments here, I think 3 months is a long time, to me challenges should last a minimum of 1 month it doesnā€™t matter even if 2 people participate in it, the results can archived the challenges continues, if no one participates in it, still itā€™s archived as no one participated. Secondly there must be an outstanding participant like it or not, the reel of all participants can still be made but still one voted out as no. 1.
I think the most important thing is CONSISTENCY, if the challenge starts the moderators of the challenge need to be consistent without being discouraged by the few numbers of participants

I share the same thought; however, considering that many community members are hobbyists, imposing a strict schedule for these challenges would be unreasonable. Additionally, with no cap on the number of submissions, those who work quickly can submit multiple entries as they wish.

I donā€™t think itā€™s unreasonable; everyone has to learn how to manage their time. If they are unable to enter for 1 month, then they can try the following month or the month after. For those multiple entries, there could be a rule that there should be only 1 submission per person. Even if multiple submissions were allowed, that does not mean quality submissions.

So the first event would start on January?

What an Excellent idea!

So I spent unnecessarily long on this but I decided to create picture of a trophy for winner (if those challenges become a thing)
trophytrophy0.75

And hereā€™s my (unorganized) file
trophy.sifz (54.9 KB)

4 Likes

Great, now spend even more time working on two others for 2nd and 3rd place xD