As usual, this year we again decided to apply for the Google Summer of Code.
The organization application period is open now and it will close February 21 - 18:00 UTC (Google Summer of Code 2022 Timeline | Google Developers)
Now it is time to prepare all necessary docs for application.
Questions we should answer first:
- Who is willing to participate as mentor? It would be nice if you provide a project ideas that you are willing to mentor. If you have potential student who can carry the project - please mention that too.
- Who can help with preparing application docs? We have docs for previous year here - Google Summer of Code 2021 — Synfig developers docs documentation. Most information can be copied.
Help to discuss ideas for student’s projects. See list from previous year - Ideas List — Synfig developers docs documentation.
Remember that we can accept idea only if there are someone who is willing to mentor it. In any case, post your crazy ideas in this thread and get fellow devs interested.
- Prepare list of simple issues to test skills of aspiring students. We need to examine list of existing issues in our tracker and mark some of them with “good-first-issue”, “help-wanted” and “Easy” labels. Adding simple issues is also appreciated.
Important notes for GSoC 2022:
- This year there will be both projects for ~175 hours and projects for ~350 hours.
- Also this year, not only students can participate, but everyone over 18 years old can participate. The program will no longer be solely focused on university students or recent graduates. So if you previously wanted to participate, but could not, then this is your chance.
More details here: Expanding Google Summer of Code in 2022 | Google Open Source Blog
This year I plan to participate as a mentor.
Good luck to everyone.