2023 - WIP Animation Tests with Synfig [project files included]

So 2023 is here and it time to rework a few things in my world. I’ll be posting various bits of animation done with Synfig, some posts will have project files attached. Final works will be rendered and post processed with other opensource software, and i’ll post the results here.

First off is an intro logo blast.

KEgg_intro

11 Likes

Color blend within a line test.

line_col_blend

line_colblend_tst.sifz

A single line that blends between three colors.

8 Likes

Impressive!
Thank you for sharing the project files :+1:

Also don’t forget to add a thread in Tutorial section pointing at this one, as not everyone would think to check here :slight_smile:

I will never repeat enough how much I enjoy to see some users to make their brain overheat to produce something that was not expected from this software!

3 Likes

Pacman rig inspired by Khemardi’s recent tutorial.

pac_tst_v2

Pacman_Rig_FIN.sifz (Synfig 1.5.1 Dev)
Pacman_Rig_FIN_Anim_tst.sifz (Synfig 1.5.1 Dev)

8 Likes

Sunday Afternoon fun… A little friend for the guy above.

ghost_tst

Not quite finished as yet, but i thought I put it up anyway.
Ghost_rig_006.sifz (Synfig 1.5.1 Dev)

6 Likes

Finished Rig for the PacGhost.

ghost_tst_v2

Ghost_rig_FIN.sifz (Synfig 1.5.1 Dev)
Ghost_rig_FIN_anim_tst.sifz (Synfig 1.5.1 Dev)

4 Likes

Just a little detail, we the sine is reaching the side (or departs of it) it should be flatten horizontaly as the ghost is almost a cylinder.
Not a big deal, but this could be an improvement :stuck_out_tongue:

:thinking:I think this is what we should expect from this software. Synfig is really great choice for creating Motion Graphics.

@KEgg , first of all I would like to say, really cool work as always. It makes me happy to see more high quality work being created in Synfig. You are more focused on quality than quantity, appreciate the work :heart:.
About the file you shared, I checked it seems like you are using an older version of Controller Plugin, this wouldn’t cause any problems, but it is always good to be on the latest version.

1 Like

Hey veer… thanks for the kind words. Really glad u like the work.

About the file you shared, I checked it seems like you are using an older version of Controller Plugin, this wouldn’t cause any problems, but it is always good to be on the latest version.

I was going to get in contact with you about the latest plugin… Basically It would not work, so reverted back to a previous version I had used in some other tests here. As I’m not sure how to easily debug this, all I can say is that the plugin runs, but gives no results, no controller etc. I tried it on a few Debian based Linux machines here all running different versions of Synfig… 1.4.2, 1.4.4, and 1.5.1 dev build.Python 3.8.10 - 3.11.1. All ran the version from Febuary '22 but no joy with latest.

Star Wars Infinity text scroll test.

Text and logo are done in inkscape and imported in.

Some interesting render glitches when it comes to scaling. Anti Aliasing up to max as well as render quality.

scroll_SYNFIG_1080p_002_FIN.sifz (2.2 MB)

3 Likes

For comparison here’s a version I did in Natron.

Interesting indeed. Apart from the noticeable glitches, still pretty close to the Natron render

Close indeed… but the real difference, apart from the glitches, is time. Set up for the Natron version was done in minutes with no struggles.Rendering was super quick too… kind of unfair to say that as it was GPU rendered.

Struggles came with working out a way to keep the imported scroll text at the best resolution without the perspective deform degrading it. The SVG export for the scroll text had to be split into three sections. Native SVG import was a no go and should be worked on rather than having to export it from inkscape as a sif. Sif export from inkscape is going to break at some point too, as I was getting was errors on loading it until splitting the scroll into parts. Sif file size for each section exported was like 20meg a paragraph for an svg that was 300k in total.

Perspective tool for synfig seems to be scene resolution and bounding box dependent, similar to editors like kdenlive using mlt, compared to Natrons Corner Pin which gave me true infinity. If I switched off the gradient stencil the scroll text would just keep on going off into the distance forever.

Should of done a clean plate render of the Natron version without film grain as good old YouTube compression has blurred it.

Speaking of ‘unfair’ comparing Synfig and Natron for lack of a better comparison, is like comparing the default paint program on windows to something like photoshop. It’s leaps and bound ahead. No disrespect to Synfig obviously, just trying to make a point

but open source non the less… And apart from a python 3 shift and minor fixes, Natron has not had a major jump in 4 years, and the community around it is as small as Synfigs, if not less. But absolutely love both these underdogs.

1 Like

While we don’t sadly have a GPU accelerated renderer yet, an user discovered a bottleneck that can help us to improve performance (fingers crossed).

Did you try to turn off the Clip parameter? It is on by default AFAIK.
https://synfig.readthedocs.io/en/latest/layers/warp.html

1 Like

Till now, I have never noticed clip in the perspective properties and now it stares at me bold as can be… lol… thanks for pointing it out.

Going boldly with the next tests here

Quick experiment over a couple of evenings looking at the best way to organize and animate a scene with sets.
This scene will evolve when I’ve got the spare time to do so and have already started with alternate angles and a couple of other iconic sets from the series.

I was going to link this scene for download. But on re-opening it this morning the whole thing had become corrupted, throwing up a lot of errors about bones. I only used 3 bones for one Display to control some slider movements, which goes off screen pretty quickly, but totally forgot that copying and pasting bones does not carry over link information… Equally tried to edit the scene manually trying to remove the element with brute force in a text editor… no joy :frowning: bye bye scene.

4 Likes

1 Like

lol… I got backups Bobby boy… so backed up it would be hard to have that shit without laxatives :wink:

Not lost the base scene or any asset animations, and already improved upon it’s overall setup this evening.

Now get on and sort that link loss on copy and paste bollocks out bitch :kiss:

1 Like