What files will Synfig STudio accept?

Thank you for your suggestion, which I tried. I created the zoom layer but cannot find where to change the zoom amount. Please be so kind as to tell me where.

There seems to be some kind of slider zoom above the layers list, but it seems to increase or decrease the size of the frame, which remains black whichever way. But maybe the zoom layer can give a zoom inside the frame?

Your help is appreciated.

My theory that zooming out would reveal the black screen to be coming from the black part of the image may be incorrect. I did find it to be the truth with black screens on both the Flash and Pencil animation programs. With Flash, I zoomed out. With Pencil, I put the image file into Photoshop and reduced the image size.

This did not work with Synfig Studio. I have taken the png file into Photoshop and reduced the image size first 100 times and then 1000 times and still the whole screen is black when I import it into Synfig Studio.

So I am currently still lost on how to import a file.

Can you, after you’ve imported the image and got a black frame, save the project and upload it so others here can try to figure something out from that? (you also need to upload the original image you’re importing).
(Save from either the menu caret, > in the upper left corner, or by pressing ctrl+s)

Have you tried importing other image files? Other GIFs, PNGs, JPGs, etc.?
And if so, what happens?

G.

Thank you for your efforts.

The file formats I tried before png were bmp, tif, pcx, and gif. Each of those did appear in a layer, but nothing appeared on the stage, which remained white. Png was the first to produce anything, if only black, and I thought the image must be in there somewhere. And it had uploaded fine on Flash and Pencil.

The file formats seem endless, so if anyone knows a sure bet for Synfig, please advise me and tell me if you can where I can download the correct converter to produce it.

I will upload the image and my black Synfig result.

I appreciate your help.

Thank you.

Alan G.
Synfig Animation 1.sifz (459 Bytes)

Alan, what we want you to try i to load a different file image (another image file) rather than the goebbels one. Try to download other image and load it into synfig.
To download this image (the synfig logo) do right click over it and select “save as”:

Then select a proper place to save the image.

We want to know if your synfig version can effectively load other files rather than the huge goebbels one

-G

The original PNG (png.goebbels.png) has a 1-bit depth, and it appears Synfig doesn’t like that.
Try converting it to an 8-bit PNG, and see what happens.

G.

This is the 8 bit version. It should work.
It seems to be a bug or an unsupported format.
-G

Please allow me to give my most sincere thanks to all of you who have taken the time and energy to write me to try to help. I have been able to import my file in jpg format and have made it look okay.

Now all I have to do is learn to animate.

I will start with the tutorials. Probably we may correspond again?

Thanks again.

Alan G.

Sorry, but looks like I spoke too soon. I attempted to import an audio file to use with my images, but now I cannot figure out how to. The IMPORT button is apparently only for image files, OPEN will not work, and I cannot find anything audio in the manual or tutorial.

Would someone please be kind enough to tell me how to upload an audio file and what kind of audio file to upload?

Thanks again.

Alan G.

No audio support at the moment in synfig.

So these must be silent movies?

Yes, but you can add sound to the movie using an external application (ie. video editor)
-G

The more complete story is that currently the partial sound support in Synfigstudio is (somewhat) disabled. This disabled functionality allows Synfigstudio to play sound in the separate preview window mode. Synfig doesn’t appear to be able to generate/combine sound while generating a new video. At least, I couldn’t find any trace of that in the source code. Hence only partial support. The reason the sound support is disabled is that it uses the fmod library, which is not Open Source. We are basically waiting for someone to rewrite the existing sound support to use an Open Source sound library. The gstreamer library has been mentioned in this context.

G.