Weekly Reports (2023)

Development Report (June 19 - 25)

Hi everyone!

Here’s the latest news regarding Synfig development:

Fixes:

• Fixed some icons that didn’t follow the icon theme (#3109)
  • Restore “Save All” shortcut (missing since #3072) (#3110)

Code cleanup & refactoring:

• Remove unused macro (#3111)
  • Delete old debug envvars that aren’t needed anymore (#3108)

That’s all for today! Many thanks to all contributors who help to make Synfig better!

3 Likes

Development Report (June 26 - July 16)

Hey everyone!

Fixes:

• Fixed missing icon for delete operations (in menu and for buttons) (#3120)

• Remove unused ParamDesc constructor argument (#3092)
  • Brush size increase/decrease buttons now use theme icons (#3091)
  • Change epsilon_() method to constant; remove c_str() (Time) (#3079)

That’s all for today! Many thanks to all contributors who help to make Synfig better!

3 Likes

Development Report (July 17 - July 23)

Hello everyone!

Fixes:

• Restored shortcuts for Cut/Copy/Paste and Quit operations (#3133)
  • Fixed an issue with snapping to the intersection of two crossing guides (#3090)
  • Fixed truncated file names in Render Dialog (#3129)
  • Fixed an issue with some tool tooltips that didn’t show the shortcut/hotkey (#3127)
  • Properly report failure on pipe creation on POSIX systems (#3045)

• Remove unused actions (#3132)
  • Prefer override rather virtual, spaces surrounding const (#3130)
  • Remove unneeded variable in “state_normal.cpp“ (#3123)
  • Prefer icon names rather deprecated Gtk::StockID class (#3125)
  • Remove unused cursor methods in studio::IconController class (#3126)

7 Likes

Development Report (July 24 - July 30)

Hey everyone!

Fixes:

• Prevent memory leak on importing PNG files (#3144)

Optimization:

• Use reference instead of copy on range-based for loops (#3147)

• Make argument name consistent in method declaration and definition (#3122)
  • Add .cache folder to .gitignore (#3145)
  • Add fallthrough mark in switch cases to avoid unneeded warning (#3143)

7 Likes

Is there any way to set double sequential key presses as hotkey shortcut? (like pressing “a” two times to actuate an action in synfig) :thinking:

Development Report (July 31 - Aug 6)

Hey everyone!

Features:

• Double clicking guides now opens the edit dialog (#3152)

Fixes:

• Preferences dialog should list only themes with index.theme file (#3140)
  • Fixed build error on Debian 9, which was preventing build of Appimage packages (#3164)
  • Fixed icons in Preferences dialog in macOS/Windows (#3156)
  • Brush tool no longer crashes Synfig if no layer is selected in the dialog (#3157)

• Sketch filename now uses filesystem::Path (#3138)
  • Replaced Gtk::StockID in tool labels with custom implementation (#3134)
  • Add missing fallthrough mark in other switch cases (#3151)

4 Likes

Development Report (Aug 7 - Aug 13)

Hey everyone!

Fixes:

• Fixed current time widget color in dark theme (#3163)
  • filesystem::Path::relative_to() now works for empty paths (#3135)
  • Fixed wrong Copy and Cut icon names (#3166)

• Removed unnecessary “const” in internal typedef (#3168)
  • Removed unneeded special XML encoding for subtract valuenode (#3141)

6 Likes

Appreciate your continuing work on Synfig! Dumb question: Are updates and fixes folded into the latest development version (1.5.1)?

Thanks

At the moment, they are only available in Win x64 zip version that is built by Appveyor in Master branch.
You can find it here (screenshots by @ice0).

2 Likes

Development Report (Aug 14 - Aug 27)

Hey everyone!

Quite an exciting week in terms of Synfig development. Here’s what we’ve got since the last report:

Features:

• Optimized rendering of Gradient Layers (Linear, Radial, Conical, Spiral) - they are ported to Cobra render engine now (#2562)
  • Added path and button to open plugin folder in Preferences window (#3162)

Fixes:

• Toolbox is now updated when switching document tabs (#3170)
  • Timetrack toolbar no longer disappears when closing a file (#3188)
  • Plugins system: Fixed crash when selected layers are optional and there is none (#3178)
  • Plugins system: Requesting “current_time” no longer invalidates JSON data (#3194)
  • Fixed an uninitialized value in “ValueNode_DynamicList::ListEntry::amount_at_time()” (#3081)
  • Fixed missing cstring header in png_trgt (#3171)

• Remove old macOS specific code (#3192)
  • Avoid g++ 13 compiler warning (#3193)
  • Fixed indentation inconsistencies in state_circle.cpp (#3183)

Edit BobSynfig:
Win64 Test Build (Link Expires 27 Sep 2023) SynfigStudio-1.5.2-testing-2023-08-27-win64-b9afc.zip

10 Likes

Wait, what? I was waiting for it for years!
Who did this? Was that you, @rodolforg? Thank you so much!

Does this mean that annoying bug where you can’t render Radial blur (and I think others too) at high resolutions, like 1920x1080 is finally resolved? I gotta test it after I finish my next animation which is very soon.

4 Likes

Oh, I am stoopid.
Gradients were always fine, I was talking about this issue: Radial Blur generates transparency artifacts in Rendering only, Canvas Preview is fine · Issue #2847 · synfig/synfig · GitHub

I don’t know why I thought that porting gradients will somehow fix “Radial blur”. It’s just both have “radial” in their names, so I got triggered. Sorry about that. Still, it’s nice to see more layers being ported to the new engine.

5 Likes

Development Report (Aug 27 - Sep 11)

Hey everyone!

Quite an exciting two weeks in terms of Synfig development. Here’s what we’ve got since the last report:

Optimization:

• Optimized Action_System so that the canvas only renders once during an action (#3200).

This fix gives a HUGE performance boost in scenes with linked parameters. For example, this fix reduces the rendering time of some files from ~4 minutes before to less than 0.7 seconds after. Thanks to mosasauridae for this improvement!

Fixes:

• New MotionBlur subsampling type None now uses the correct blend method (#3201)
  • Avoid parser error of focus point on loading malformed Synfig file (#3206)
  • Selecting a handle while the Graphs window tooltip is open no longer crashes the GUI (#3207)
  • Fixed incorrect display of scaling in the Transformation parameter on Parameters Panel (#3208)

Before:

After:

• Fixed an issue with missing preview window when there is a Layer_Sound in the project with an empty file name. (#3211)

• Increase the pixels per frame without render split in Target_Scanline (#3205). This ‘solves’ the issue with the Radial Blur layer for images less than or equals to 4k HD.
  • Avoid build warning due to unused parameter (#3202)

Edit BobSynfig:
Win64 Test Build (Link Expires 12 Oct 2023) SynfigStudio-1.5.2-testing-2023-09-12-win64-7040b.zip
Discourse now accepts the upload of WEBP and AVIF images.

6 Likes

Development Report (Sep 12 - Sep 26)

Hey everyone!

Fixes:

• Fixed missing app icon in macOS autotools build (#3223)
  • Fixed wrong button labels in the custom workspace editor (#3175)

• Avoid direct use of etl::handle (#3226)
  • Remove not-needed ‘using namespace etl’ (#3221)
  • Change type of “filename” variable in Identifier() class to a “filesystem::Path” object (#3209)

Edit BobSynfig:
Win64 Test Build (Link Expires 26 Oct 2023)
SynfigStudio-1.5.2-testing-2023-09-26-win64-57a06.zip

4 Likes

@mohamed.Adhamc I used to make paths by pressing b (my shortcut) to pick the spline tool, then adding some points on the canvas, and pressing b again to finish the path while still having the tool active.
But in SynfigStudio-1.5.2-testing-2023-09-12-win64-7040b this is not working anymore.

Hello, @Kai . This topic is not exactly for requests or doubts, but you can press Enter to finish the spline and keep using the tool.

@rodolforg I know. I just wanted to find out if this is a bug or a change in behaviour of working of hotkeys. Because earlier it used to work, but now no more. :grin:

I would love that you add test builds for macOS as well

I would like it too, but there are only the Win64 build avail in AppVeyor :confused:

AppVeyor is supposed to build apps not only for Windows but macOS and Linux… where is the problem? is anybody needed to implement it? I’m just curious…