UTF-8 in Text layers treated as a single-char encoding


#1

Dear collegues,

Synfig is a great instrument I’d like to recommend to the users of my system (creation of animated logos, subtitiles, ads, etc). I just found a big disgrace inside Synfig, that can prevent it from using inside Russia (and other countries, too). In the forum, I found the discussion on Spanish characters in the Text layers. For Russian, the things are the same, and even worse.

Version: 1.2.0 32bit (latest for today). I didn’t test 64bit version.

I’m entering the Russian text. Using Arial font (that definitely has cyrillic characters) - I also tried other fonts with the same result. The preview animation looks awful. As Russian is UTF-8-encoded, every cyrillic letter is presented with 2 bytes (UTF-8). At the preview, each of these bytes are printed separately.

Please see the screenshot. At the back, under the Synfig window, there’s a UTF-8 encoded file in HEX editor with the same text (first 3 bytes are BOM). They are completely the same as at the Synfig preview. This means the Synfig doesn’t receive the text in UTF-8 at all, but renders it in ASCII/ANSI. Meanwile, the SIF files are in UTF-8, so it is a disaster.

This is a severe bug that will prevent any national languages from using with Synfig. Would you please study this (I guess, say, Konstantin Dmitriev could easily test this).


#2

Tried version for Windows, 64bit - the same result. Note that I don’t need a Linux version (though may be it works…)


#3

Text layer in Synfig is a mess, everyone knows about it.
It just seems, fixing the ‘Text’ layer isn’t a high priority for now.

I’d recommend you to post an issue on github: github.com/synfig/synfig/issues
This way you’ll actually reach some developers and maybe even get the things started.


#4

Thanks Svarov,
This bug makes the great software useless for many serious applications - much more serious than simple cartoons…