Unwanted layer duplicate appearing in rendered GIF

I’m a first-time user trying to make a fairly simple looping GIF. I’m finding that when I render my animation to a GIF, the output doesn’t match what’s in Synfig; there is an extra, static copy of one of my animated layers placed behind everything else. I have no idea why it’s there or where it’s coming from. If I add a background or render to a format that doesn’t support transparency like ffmpeg it’s not there, but I want the background to be transparent.

EDIT: It doesn’t show up here because the forum appears to add a background to it. Imagine another copy of the hands/blanket assembly behind everything that doesn’t move.

SophiaSleep

Related to

Is it doing it with another version of Synfig?

Sorry for the delay–I see that I have the same issue with versions 1.2.2, 1.3.10, and 1.4.0.

My problem does look pretty much the same as the linked one. It looks buggy when I view it with my OS’s built-in image viewer or Pix, normal here and if I just view it with Firefox, and even more messed up on Discord. Whereas if I render to PNGs and rerender into a GIF with GIMP, it looks normal everywhere. So it seems like there is a problem with how Synfig renders GIFs.

Hi, @DarthMarth!

Where I can download pix?
Which OS you are using?

Does the problem looks like this?
Screenshot_113

I am using Linux Mint, which has Pix as a built-in tool. Its code is here: GitHub - linuxmint/pix: Image management application

Yes, that is exactly what it looks like for me.

1 Like

@DarthMarth ok, I found the problem. Fix will be available in version 1.4.2

Also I can test your file if you can share it.

1 Like

SophiaSleep.sifz (58.9 KB) Great! Here is the file.

Thank you!

Here is the result rendered on the new version of Synfig.
You can save it and check using Pix.

SophiaSleep

I have been working around it by exporting a PNG sequence and rendering the GIF with GIMP, but thanks–this will save me some trouble!

1 Like

The fix is shipped in Synfig Studio version 1.4.2 - Synfig Studio 1.4.2 released – Synfig