Looking at the package wide variety of packages at synfig.org/Download, watching all the problems with updating packages to new distributive releases, building my own packages for Fedora 7 and 10, I finally asked myself “Is this a right way to go?”
Everytime I build a package of new (svn) version of synfig I need to build it 4 times - in Fedora 7 i386, Fedora 7 x86_64, Fedora 10 i386 and finally Fedora 10 x86_64! There is a lot packages at the Download page and still most newcomers forced to build synfig from sources.
The answer looks simple - let the distribution vendors to produce packages. But currently we aren’t supported by them that much (Fedora refuses to include synfig in their repositories, Ubuntu lags with updates).
Other problem: I want to provide users a way to easily install some particular version of synfig. Yes, yes, easy. Without connecting additional (unofficial) repositories, without fiddling with dependencies. Just click-and-install. That’s a critical point for driving collaborative project - provide solid environment. I personally don’t want to depend on linux distributions packages - they use stable versions and don’t update as often as we. Oppositely we update relatively often to test new features and recieve benefits from recently fixed bugs.
That’s why I made an attempt to develop some kind of ‘unified’ package. Such package should comply following requirements:
- Distribution-independence (rpm-package should be suitable for any modern rpm-based distro, same for deb-package)
- All in single package (installation with one click, synfig and synfigstudio included)
- End-user orientation (no devel stuff)
- Minimum dependencies (only rely on components which most systems have installed already)
That’s what I’ve got:
Packages for Debian-based distributives:
- i386: synfigstudio_0.61.09-2316.morevnapackage.1_i386.deb
- x86_64: synfigstudio_0.61.09-2316.morevnapackage.1_amd64.deb
Packages for rpm-based distributives:
- i386: synfigstudio-0.61.09-2316.morevnapackage.1.i386.rpm
- x86_64: synfigstudio-0.61.09-2316.morevnapackage.1.x86_64.rpm
I need help in testing those packages. Please try to install those packages on your distribution and report issues you encounter.
I’ve tested them on Fedora and Ubuntu only:
- i386 build tested on: Ubuntu 8.10 (i386), Fedora 7 (i386), Fedora 7 (x86_64), Fedora 10 (x86_64).
- x86_64 build tested on: Ubuntu 7.04 (x86_64), Fedora 7 (x86_64), Fedora 10 (x86_64).
It will be nice if you make tests on those and other distros.