successful install of Synfig 0.62.02
./configure
make
make check
sudo make install

unsuccessful install of Synfigstudio 0.62.02
./configure
Last line before script halts:

checking for synfig >= 0.62.02 ETL >= 0.04.13 sigc++-2.0... configure: error: ** Unable to set up dependent libraries (synfig >= 0.62.02, ETL >= 0.04.13) libsigc versions installed:
libsigc+±2.0-0c2a
libsigc+±2.0-dev

Screen outputs available upon request.

Hi,
those source packages were made in a 10.04 machine using the scripts in the wiki to produce the tarballs of the release:
synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Release#Create_the_tarball
I’ll try to reproduce that behavior in a clean install in a virtual machine of a ubuntu 10.10 and let you know.
-G

In a Ubuntu 10.10 virtual machine 32 bits:

$ sudo apt-get install build-essential autoconf automake libtool $ sudo apt-get install libxml++2.6-dev libsigc++-2.0-dev libltdl3-dev libtool gettext cvs libpng12-dev libmng-dev libjpeg62-dev libfreetype6-dev libfontconfig1-dev libopenexr-dev libavcodec-dev libavformat-dev libmagick++9-dev libdv-bin ffmpeg imagemagick $ sudo apt-get install libgtkmm-2.4-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglibmm-2.4-dev libsigc++-2.0-dev libltdl3-dev libtool gettext cvs ttf-freefont ttf-dejavu ttf-dustin

and accept all pressing YES.

Then download the sources from our website untar them and do:

In ETL folder:

$ ./configure $ sudo make install

In synfig-core folder:

$ ./configure $ make $ sudo make install $ sudo ldconfig

In synfigstudio folder:

$ ./configure $ make $ sudo ldconfig

The sudo ldconfig seems to be needed in some linux distros and is needed to allow the binaries find the libraries.

It works here.

-G

:smiley:

My son will be delighted!

Many, many, many thanks!!

I will get on this immediately.

Bob

The compile worked perfectly. The modified steps were exactly what the compile needed to install Synfig Studio correctly.

The scroll wheel doesn’t shift the canvas, but that might be due to my tablet still inside my PC. I’ll pull that out and give it a test.

=)

Anyway, why didn’t you use the debian packages we provide? They works fine in ubuntu 10.10 too and don’t need to care on any development library installation or anything.

-G

The Debian packages “work”. However, in another thread I mentioned the possibility of moving the canvas by using the middle scroll wheel. I was told that the middle wheel moves the canvas up-down, holding Shift moves it left-right, holding Ctrl zooms in and out (or so I’m lead to believe).

The Debian/Ubuntu packages do not perform these for me (with or without Wacom tablet attached to computer). So, I figured it might be related to some aspect of compiling.

Sadly, the compiled version is exactly the same as the Debian package, not allowing me to move the canvas by the mouse wheel.

Hope this answers your query.