Trying to install new version 0.61.09 on ubuntu 8.04

Hi guys!

I downloaded the three packages(etl, synfig, synfig studio ), I followed the building instructions …

ETL…OK
Synfig … ricardo@ricardo-desktop:~/syn2$ libtoolize --ltdl --copy --force
You should update your aclocal.m4' by running aclocal. Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR,config’.

What’s happening??
and other libs for the synfig studio could not be installed too.

Thanks.

Hi Ricardo,
according to the build instructions if you download the packages you just need to do ./configure, make and make install to perform the building.
The rest of instructions are to build the svn checkout.
Please read the build instructions page carefully :slight_smile:

Cheers!!! It is worse to try to build it!
-G

I can confirm that. I built v0.61.09 from source on a fully-patched Fedora Core 8. I had to update 14 underlying libraries to successfully build Studio and which also ruined the pixmaps of the Fedora-supplied desktop manager. (Not a problem for me, since I replaced it with KDE v3.5.10 because I like KDE better and wanted toolbar icons for Synfigstudio and Cinelerra).

However, given how much more stable v0.61.09 is over previous versions, IMO it is well worth it.

BTW, it appears you can simply ignore the “You should update your `aclocal.m4’ by running aclocal.” comment. Well, I can at least… :slight_smile:

G.

Well, I did it! I logged as root, umpacked the files and just used ( ./configure…make…make file ) for each folder (etl…synfig…synfig studio )…of course I installed the libs mentioned in the building instructions, but some could not be installed on ubuntu.

Well…Itś working and the improvements are nice ( now we can zoom the timeline , the follow path is easier and the playback performance is better too).

But, a question… can I build a .deb file and redistribute it? I want to take synfig to some friend’s studios for tests and incentive the use of this great tool.

thanks!

For sure!
This is opensource. The only drawback is that that binary would probably never be released at any ubuntu version but for friends and confident people would be fine.
Maybe you can join any Ubuntu development channel and ask there if they admit a backport for Hardy or the recent Intrepid.
Cheers and congratulations!
Enjoy!

-G

Please read the license to find out what the conditions for distribution are. Especially note the requirement to distribute source.