Translating the Manual to Portuguese

Hello!

I started to translate the Synfig Manual to Portuguese!
Until now, I just did the three first pages, but I’m doing it
in a “one-page-per-day” speed.

I hope I can carry on with this rhythm!

:slight_smile:

synfig.org/wiki/Category:Manual/pt

Welcome nqatsi!
Remember that not all the Manual pages are settled down. It is possible that many of the pages will change. I would just translate the main page and the Diving In section of the manual.
-G

Ok!

three more to go then! :smiley:

one question… how can I translate Synfig’s interface to Portuguese?

Is it a good time to do it?

Yes you can. Always is a good time for that.
Checkout this:
synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Translation
You need to have a build environment for Synfig in your computer. If you’re not under linux it is a complex task. I can help you on do the translation based on files I can provide.
Please feed back in this thread what’s your current operating system and if you want to follow the translation instructions or need assistance for the simplified way.
Thanks!
-G

I forgot about the wiki!

I’m under Ubuntu 10.04 8)

I will try to follow the instructions, and if I need anything, I will reply here, ok?

That Poedit looks like a good choice… when I get home I will make some experiments.

Right after I finish to translate the manual, I will start with the interface!

(:

Do not forget to fill the personal stuff of the po header in Poedit.

Sure!
Good luck!
-G

• get Synfig’s GUI source code… OK
  • create new po file in my language with mgsinit… OK
  • add pt_BR to configure.ac file… OK
  • install an editing tool… OK (both Poedit and Gtranslator are available through ubuntu’s repositories)

ok… it’s my first experience with this, so, I have some questions…

first, what will happen with the synfig installation that I already have? (installed through a .deb file) Do I need to remove it, before compile the source?

and since I’m on a 64-bit platform, what should I do? update svn?

sorry for be such a noob :unamused:

If you follow the build instructions, you can install in other place than the system wide. export and use the proper environment vairbales to install in a private folder. You can live with both versions.

There is nothing to do with the platform. Just follow the build instructions and install the proper libraries before build.

But that will finish soon!
-G

links:
synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Build_Instructions
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=972

hi there! welcome to the club…

just be aware that for some reasons the translations of the user interface are just working on Linux. So maybe consider adding a warning to the docs to say so…

Great to have you here…

Hi nqatsi , great job,

I noticed that some of Portuguese pages listed inTutorials page in English , to fix it, you can update those pages according to

more detail here:
http://synfig.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1122

Thank you! I finished the six first pages last week… it needs a review although…

and thank you for notice this… I fixed all the Portuguese pages, and also one in Deutsch - (was it an intrusion? :confused: )
so, can someone take a look if I didn’t screw up anything?

I’m on vacation and away from my computer to study how to compile the source to translate the interface…
I was wondering what else on the wiki could I translate?

(I bet my English is kinda of scrambled, sorry for that)

Since we now have the possibility to translate online, I will continue the Brazilian Portuguese translation through the that tool, all right? :slight_smile:

Its easier for me… I found it a good initiative.

thanks!

ok… needing some help here!

I send to Transifex an empty pt_BR.po file, hopping to edit it online, but nothing shows up…

Do I need to wait the administrators to accept the translation?

Sorry if I did anything bad! I hope I didn’t screwed something up :stuck_out_tongue:

As mentioned in this thread, transifex doesn’t replace the usage of poedit or other po editor. Even more, edit the po file for a translation update using a browser is unrecommended due to the length of the file and that the built in editor doesn’t mark you the strings that are fuzzy translated or were translated before.
Also, for new translations, the need of test the translation with the application running (to see each string in its own context) is not replaced by transifex. Transifex is just an utility for collect the translations, give some statistics about its completion and eventually allow direct commit to the git repo for the translations updates (which doesn’t work for new translations because the configure.ac file has to be modified).

Unfortunately there is not way to show up the accepted translation po file unless I apply it to master branch. Also I insist that the file po that you’ll obtain via transifex to be translated is exactly the same that you have sent and transifex doesn’t add anything with its edition environment.
Please update your local po file using poedit and send it to the patch tracker. I’ll apply it to master branch then.
-G