Synfig Test Compile?

Maybe I’m missing something bright-blazingly obvious, but I cannot seem to be able to test synfig-studio from the Github. I can’t imagine that ya’ll are building the entire project from source every time you want to test your code.

How exactly do I go about simply opening this project up in Code::Blocks or Anjuta and building/running it for debugging?

Hello,

From my (Debian wheezy) part, i used to build and debug with Anjuta (3.8.4).
You do’nt need to setup the wall project (from makefile has you can found (shipped from git) in each synfig sub-project folders xx/synfig-studio/synfig-studio.anjuta , xx/synfig-core/synfig-core.anjuta and xx/synfig-ETL/synfig-ETL.anjuta … (maybe you should configure also Anjuta/Menu/Execute/Project … i do’nt remember)

Now, i build / debug using Eclispe IDE (3.8) and CDT plugins , who have some advantage … but also some problem (can’t do pause / or add breakpoint at fly)…

Maybe soon i will test , the last Anjuta version ( 3.13.92 - September 14, 2014)

When i want to build from scratch the wall project i use this script (before with i little “make clean” in each sub project i have added as parameter)

see you …

I can open the project in Anjuta, but I get the following…

Update, I changed the code to

--debug --prepend-include=$HOME/synfig --include=$HOME/synfig/include 'CFLAGS=-g -O0' 'CXXFLAGS=-g -O0' 'JFLAGS=-g -O0' 'FFLAGS=-g -O0' PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/synfig/lib/pkgconfig:$HOME/synfig/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig PATH=$HOME/synfig/bin:$PATH LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/synfig/lib:$HOME/synfig/lib64:/usr/local/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH LDFLAGS="-Wl,-rpath -Wl,\\\$\$ORIGIN/lib"

Now it doesn’t complain about invalid options, but I get the following…

I already have build-essential and g++ installed. What am I missing here?

firstly, are you able to configure / build outside an IDE , using the script i mentioned above ?

With libboost ( >= 1.53.0) no standard installation to /personal/boost/install/path/ :

[code]#!/bin/sh
#move to synfig folder (to get the script out from git)
cd synfig
CPUS=2
prefix=$(pwd)/install
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH="$prefix/lib/pkgconfig"
export PATH=$(pwd)/synfig-core/src/tool/.libs:$PATH
export CXX="/usr/bin/ccache /usr/bin/g++"

cd ETL &&
autoreconf --install --force &&
./configure --prefix $prefix &&
make install &&

cd …/synfig-core &&
libtoolize --ltdl --copy --force &&
./configure --with-boost=/personal/boost/install/path/boost_1_55_0 --enable-optimization=0 --prefix $prefix --enable-debug &&
make -j $CPUS install &&

cd …/synfig-studio &&
intltoolize --force --copy &&
./configure --enable-optimization=0 --prefix $prefix --enable-debug &&
make -j $CPUS install[/code]

The best way to work with code is to use the build scripts under autobuild folder.
Once you have run it for the first time it could take long time to compile all dependencies but you can recompile only the needed using custom commands in the script:
github.com/synfig/synfig/blob/m … ild.sh#L16

Once you have run the scrip, you can tell your preferred IDE where is the source code and the symbols in case you want to debug. Change your code and re run the script (or make install in the propel folder) to compile you changes.

It is difficult to maintain a configuration for each platform/IDE so the scripts does reasonably well it’s job, specialy considering the amount of libraries in use.
-G

Jason:
Did you finally manage to compile Synfig Studio?
Cheers!
-G

I’ve been drowning in other obligations. I’ll be trying as soon as I get the chance. Thanks for checking in!