Synfig OS X lion starting problem

Hello everyone,
I just downloaded the newest version of Synfig (0.64, i believe) on my OS X lion macbook pro.
However, when I open the program, the Synfig icon just bounces in the doc. After a while Xquartz opens fine and the splash screen shows and the program opens, but doesn’t fully load. The Synfig icon keeps bouncing and I always end up force quitting it.

What sometimes also happens is that Synfig tries to load, but disappears from the dock without doing anything.

I already tried downloading older versions of Synfig, but the same thing happens every time. What do I do?

Would you please provide the version info of Synfig Studio? I fully recommend you to download the last stable version from download page.

And please try the following procedure:

1. Install Synfig Studio into Applications folder
  2. Open Terminal app, (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)
  3. In terminal window, keyin the command /Applications/SynfigStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/synfigstudio and press Enter
  4. And see what is the output of Terminal Window.
  5. You can past those output here to ask for help if needed.

Good luck and enjoy!

Thank you so much for your help :smiley: The versions I tried were
synfigstudio-0.64.1-i386.dmg and synfigstudio_0.63.05_osx10.7_i386.dmg
To do the steps you said, I downloaded synfigstudio-0.64.1-i386.dmg again. (one of the two newest stable releases)
After putting the code into the terminal I got this code:

/Applications/SynfigStudio.app/Contents/MacOS/synfigstudio
launch

synfig studio – starting up application…

synfig(433) [22:36:39] informatie: Modules worden geladen van /tmp/skl/SynfigStudio.app/Contents/Resources/synfig/etc/synfig_modules.cfg
synfig(433) [22:36:40] informatie: Loading plugins from /tmp/skl/SynfigStudio.app/Contents/Resources/synfig//share/synfig/plugins
synfig(433) [22:36:40] informatie: Loading plugin: add-skeleton-simple
synfig(433) [22:36:40] informatie: Loading plugin: view-unhide-all-layers
synfig(433) [22:36:40] informatie: Loading plugins from /Users/louisemaarsen-jones/Library/Synfig/plugins

(synfigstudio:433): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 40: Element ‘markup’ was closed, but the currently open element is ‘b’

(synfigstudio:433): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to set text from markup due to error parsing markup: Error on line 1 char 40: Element ‘markup’ was closed, but the currently open element is ‘b’

(synfigstudio:433): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (GtkTreeModel) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_KeyframeTreeStore) after class_init

(synfigstudio:433): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (GtkTreeDragSource) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_KeyframeTreeStore) after class_init

(synfigstudio:433): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (GtkTreeDragDest) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_KeyframeTreeStore) after class_init

(synfigstudio:433): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: attempting to add an interface (GtkCellEditable) to class (gtkmm__CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE) after class_init

(synfigstudio:433): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class gtkmm__CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE doesn’t implement property ‘editing-canceled’ from interface ‘GtkCellEditable’

The application started properly, but it still won’t load completely. Xquartz starts up well, but I can’t see the Synfig icon in the finder. I’ll post a screenshot of what my screen looked like then. Once again, thank you for your time :mrgreen:

I see it completely loaded. Just create a new document and you’re done.
-G

I don’t know what happened, but after entering the code into terminal again, Synfig managed to load all windows (screenshot 2). I can even click some buttons and draw in the window. Fantastic! Thank you :smiley:
I was wondering one thing though, In the top left corner it says that X11 is open and not Synfig Studio. (screenshot 4) Is this normal? The logo of Synfig isn’t in the doc either. (screenshot 3)
screenshot3.jpg
screenshot4.jpg

That X11 is the only one on the top menu is normal. You’re not seeing a native application. That the Synfig logo isn’t on the dock is not normal. Possibly it is due to you have run the application from the terminal and not using the launcher icon. The Synfig Studio dock icon doesn’t have other functionality that kill the application but not X11 so you shouldn’t worry too much for that.

I hope the new package could be run in Lion without those issues.

-G