Synfig Fundamentals

Hello everyone, I am just starting YouTube tutorial series called Synfig Fundamentals, similar to Blender Fundamentals to just teach basic about Synfig so that people can start using it.

If you have any topics that you need to cover in the series suggest me here, also any suggestion on how to improve quality of tutorials. My goal from this tutorial series is to make new users comfortable with Synfig enough to start creating complex animations (like from my Micro Animations). Then I can create tutorials on complex animations.

screenshot_005

8 Likes
5 Likes

This is a great introduction. It’s quick and shows off the core elements of the Synfig workflow in the most accessible way possible. Clean!

Going to continue this series looking for some feedback.

I try to explain keyframes with the analogy of a Time Cameras, they capture the moment when animate mode turns on and then if content is changed they create waypoints. I used to visualize Keyframes like these.

What do you guys think ?

3 Likes
  • For current stable version, it’d be nice if you could let the audience be aware that Synfig object selection is done through Groups. Layers alone is not really convenient. Weird UX but that’s just the way it is for now.
  • Composition and blending. Very powerful. Some clever examples from your 100th animation work experience would help too :grin:
  • Sub canvas for isolating animations
  • Workspaces
  • Jump between left and right keyframes using [ and ]. Useful for quickly observing extreme poses sometimes.
  • Turn off effects to speed up real time rendering on canvas.

It’s refreshing to see new style of tutorial. I could follow the video maybe because I already know something about Synfig waypoints. I don’t have that perspective of fresh eyes or a fresh brain to help you whether something could be improved or not :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your feedback,

This is not how the whole video will be, just a small part explaining how keyframes work.

The part 2 of this Fundamentals Series would be Keyframe & Waypoints (with animate editing mode).

Thanks for mentioning the shortcuts usage, will include it in my video.

I am not aware about this, can you please elaborate more ?
I do just disable layers so that real time rendering is faster. Is this similar or something different ? Seems like changing the render engine from Preview to draft does this.

3 Likes

You answered it LOL.
Effects :point_right: blur effect and other cpu intensive ones that Synfig generates for the user.