Synfig 1.3.12 crashes frequently

Hi, @lobozamora!
This version must fix Synfig crush when you work with with Spline.
Can you please check it?
https://coolbug.org/downloads/morevna/builds/SynfigStudio-1.5.0-testing-2020.02.29-win64-478b0.zip

P.S. This is portable version, just unpack and run.

3 Likes

Hi, good day.
I download it and tested a little, I can finish this one without problems

I will still use it, to see if I can find some other thing.

5 Likes

@lobozamora Thank you!
BTW, Awesome work!

2 Likes

Will ship this fix with 1.3.13.

3 Likes

I try the latest dev. version (1.3.14. on Windows 10, 64bit). If I modify splines the Synfig crashes.

Hi @vidg! Can you please record a video showing the problem? Thank you!

Hi!

I was create an short screen video, but I can’t upload this forum. You have an e-mail address, or what method which can I send this video?

Could you try to upload to YouTube as unlisted and send the link as PM here to Konstantin? If it’s privacy reasons, I mean

1 Like

@rodolforg thank you.

If it can help (or not), I’m using Synfig 1.2.2 on Windows 7, and it crashes randomly too (well, sometime it freezes to bring some variety).
I don’t use vector, only images that I scale / move / rotate and sometime the “geometry -> full color” for fading / background color.
It’s very annoying…

I tried the spline bug but can create tens of it without any crash.
But then, just for fun, I imported three images, grouped them, and applied a color layer to one of the images, and it crashed.

I’m using 7Gb out of 24, and there isn’t much running in the background.
Simply put, I couldn’t find a way to find where the bugs came from.

I will try the dev version and see if I get more or (hopefully) less crashes.

Please try version 1.3.14 , it should be way more stable than 1.2.2. Some old crashes were fixed recently.

Could you please describe it better? I’m knew at synfig code.
Is “Color layer” actually “Color correction layer”?

Did it crash when you add / apply that color layer or when you were editing the color layer?

What was the layer tree layout you created?

• Group
    • Color layer
    • Image 1
    • Image 2
    • Image 3

?

1 Like

I’m downloading Synfig 1.3.14 but may try it tomorrow (it’s getting late here).

I don’t know. I’m using the French version.
In French, it’s “Calque -> Nouveau Calque -> Géométrie -> Couleur pleine”.
Here is a screenshoot if it can help

To be more precise, it crashes after I moved the color layer back again before the bitmap.
If I recall well I did :

• Import my image by drag and drop (create a bitmap nested in the image on the treeview, as usual)
  • Move / rotate / skew / rescale it randomly
    ( Find It looks like isometric floor, so decided to make a fake cube out of it )
  • Copy the first image and paste it
  • Move / rotate / skew / rescale it
  • Copy the second image and paste it
  • Move / rotate / skew / rescale it
    ( Decide to play a bit with it )
  • Select the three images in the treeview and click the group button
  • Move / rotate / skew / rescale it randomly
    ( Decide to give it an old school look )
  • Select image1 and change smoothing to “nearest neighbor” )
  • Select image2 and change smoothing to “nearest neighbor” )
  • Select image3 and change smoothing to “nearest neighbor” )
    ( Decide to try to fake light on the cube by adding a color layer to images )
  • Select the first image, right click, new layer, geometry, color layer (sorry if it’s not the right name, everything is in french here)
  • The smoothing look like linear now( ??? )
  • Try to change the color, set it to purple, no change
  • Try to change the fusion method, no change
  • Try to move the color layer after the bitmap, as a test. The smoothing looks like nearest neighbor again
  • Try to move the color layer before the bitmap. The smoothing is back to linear and synfig crashes.

The layering before crash was :

• Group
    • Image1
      • Color layer
      • Bitmap
    • Image2
      • Bitmap
    • Image3
      • Bitmap

Version 1.3.14 finished downloading with my potato internet while I was writing. I will test it.

So, I had my first crash with Synfig 1.3.14 (32bits)
First of all, it’s way faster to load, thank you! But some other things regressed, like the preview playing take like a second to start and skip the first second of animation.
Anyway, let 's focus on random crash.
This time run Synfig and loaded an old animation of mine.
No crash when playing it (but I didn’t edit anything)
Then, I close it and load an other animation (without closing Synfig inbetween)
No crash when playing it too (but I didn’t edit anything)
Then, I close it and load a third animation (still without closing Synfig inbetween)
And here, when moving on the time axis to chose which frame to display, surprise crash.

I tried then to play with skeleton and 9 1280*720 images as bone (to try to stress it out) and I have no problem so far. That’s… Random.

Did you try to play with Preview dialog or inside editor/work area?

Hey could you send me your third synfig file that made Synfig crash?
Here or by private message.

Why do you use 32bit? You said earlier your system has 24GB RAM, so 64bit should be your choice to not limit to ~4GB.

I think I know what’s the problem here: the (solid) color layer has no proper description (name) And the Switch group doesn’t handle correctly selection of unnamed layers.

Please avoid necro-posting and open new threads specific to a version or an issue.
Don’t mix 1.3.12, 1.2.2, 1.3.14… nor issues types

I replied because the last messages were from hours to days ago, I didn’t think I was necroposting.
I searched a bit but didn’t find a 1.3.14 thread. So, if I get more random crashes, I will create a new thread.

For future references, let me at least quickly answer to the asked questions.

• The lag of the first second is in the working area. Draft mode or not.
  • I don’t remember which one it was (I tested it at 4AM). But now that I think about it, all my animations have a sound track if it may help.
  • I use 32bits because it’s the only one I found on sourceforge. I’m now downloading the 64bit version from fosshub for further testing. The 7Gb was the total RAM occupation, not the synfig’s one.
  • Great if I could help giving pointer to the color’s glitch.

As stated, I will install Synfig 1.3.14 64bits and if new crashes appear, I will create a new thread.

2 Likes

@vidg Got the videos, the crashes are really strange. Please see my PM. Thank you!

1 Like

Can anyone please help with reproducing this issue on WIndows? - https://github.com/synfig/synfig/issues/1442
@lobozamora @Fadhilkwan

1 Like