Synfig 0.62.01 Release schedule

i was going to test this release candidate, but i keep having problems with the installation,

checking for synfig >= 0.62.00 ETL >= 0.04.13 sigc++-2.0... configure: error:  ** Unable to set up dependent libraries (synfig >= 0.62.00, ETL >= 0.04.13)

what i made/tried so far:

-uninstalled any package related to Synfig and SynfigStudio
-configured the paths of dpkg using DPKG_CONFIG_PATH and some other things
-instaled dev and normal packages of MLT and ETL
-restarted my pc

and this is only at “./configure” command, i’m using Ubuntu Studio, originally 9.10 Karmic Koala but now updated to 10.4 Lucyd Linx (or at least that what it says), perhaps i’ll stick with the development snapshot till i can download a new package from this release =(

H13N.H3N: Are you compiling everything in the right order? If you attempt to set up studio prior to etl and synfig, there would definitely be problems. (see synfig.org/wiki/Dev:Build_Instructions)

pixelgeek, genete: I have confirmed the bad dialogs as a bug on my system. I’ll probably try a real debug soon, but what I know so far is that the height preference values are read properly from the file, but get mysteriously reset to 1 sometime after that.

The dialogs sizes are read and written properly from/to file. The problem is the resize(x,y) call. It doesn’t obey completely due to the Gdk::Geometry values of the window. I haven’t found a combination that work yet.
-G

nikitakit: i did, i read the instructions already, that’s why i’m posting my failed results here, is not my first time trying to compile ETL,MTL and Synfig, for some reason i feel very uncomfortable installing tarballs, is not too hard but sometimes i just don’t get what i’m missing, if you think this error is too noob for keep track on it, it’s fine for me if you want to stop the replies on this, soon or later i’ll find out what i’m doing wrong, but i thought i should report my unsuccessful attempt, my principal suspect is my own OS, as it was one of the first releases of Ubuntu Studio 9.10, and not the current final version of the official site, for some reason i feel like something is not working as it should, tough everything works sweet

H13N.H3N,
The build instructions are written for a general debian based system, they might fail if some of the libraries are modified between versions.
Try to strictly follow (repeat all) the build instructions I wrote for 9.10 in this thread. Maybe they still be valid for 10.04.
When I upgrade to Lucid I’ll re-check the specific build instructions, meanwhile we can only guess what’s happening.

-G

I just upgraded to lucid, and the instructions in that tread worked fine for me

Thanks for the report saorsa :slight_smile:

ouh!, Suxess!!

This is the preview of the main window, i like to have a big viewport for working properly, not problem at the moment talking about diferent kinds of Layer, image, traced (Blines and Regions), gradient, etc, still i have to keep testing a little more

Another thing i heard good things about is the SVG import, perhaps was already in the development Snapshot but still works pretty good

if you ask me, as a regular user, i see no problems regarding the layout, of course i would like to have my windows in size and position every session opened as i left them last time i used them, but i think i can try to live without them, maybe i need to use it more to see what are you talking about

I’ve done what you asked, but I can’t reproduce the panel mangling issue (the panels always start at the same default position )

Same here, i closed and opened several times from terminal and every time Synfig Studio runs, the panels are the same last session, anyway, i give you my terminal output, the rest of the lines are likely the same but with different timing obviously:

h13n-h3n@R-System:~/synfig/install/bin$ synfigstudio

synfig studio -- starting up application...

synfig(5067) [08:16:07 AM] info: Loading modules from ../etc/synfig_modules.cfg

(synfigstudio:5067): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: Object class gtkmm__CustomObject_N6studio15ValueBase_EntryE doesn't implement property 'editing-canceled' from interface 'GtkCellEditable'
Quit Request
synfig(5067) [08:16:11 AM] error: KeyframeActionManager::refresh(): Not ready!
synfig(5067) [08:16:11 AM] error: KeyframeActionManager::refresh(): Not ready!
Quit Request sent
synfig(5067) [08:16:11 AM] info: DockManager::unregister_dockable(): "pal_edit" has been Unregistered
Application appears to have terminated successfully
synfig(5067) [08:16:11 AM] error: 1 canvases not yet deleted!

Thanks you both for the reports. But I still getting the random shrink of the panels when open synfigstudio. Continue working with synfigstudio and you’ll end with the same bug. I’m looking forward for a solution for that.
Release is closer!!! :slight_smile:

-G

is it posible for you to upload a screenshot of your problem? i kept running and closing Synfig and nothing out of normal happens, maybe i’m not seeing what i should see

H13N.H3N - you can see the problem in Nikitakit’s screenshot earlier in this thread.

Animtim, H13N.H3N, which versions of GTK are you running?

oh, i see, for some reason (maybe connection problems) the second picture didn’t load, i see now what you mean regarding the windows.

my current version of GTK2 Libraries, these are the main packages, but i have some other installed

ii libgtk2.0-0 2.20.0-0ubuntu4 The GTK+ graphical user interface library ii libgtk2.0-bin 2.20.0-0ubuntu4 The programs for the GTK+ graphical user int ii libgtk2.0-common 2.20.0-0ubuntu4 Common files for the GTK+ graphical user int ii libgtk2.0-dev 2.20.0-0ubuntu4 Development files for the GTK+ library

Look here:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1062&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
-G

I see, well, first based in Nikakit’s screen-shot with the problem with panels i tried to force the error, of course as much unintentionally as possible, this maybe modifying a setting or overlapping a panel, the only thing i could get is transforming the horizonal panel (time track, curve and metadata) into vertical one adding all the tabs into a single panel of the two available:

about the post you send me to read:
i haven’t problems with version 0.62.00 in any mean, this from the time you released it as a release candidate to the last development snapshot, but i have to point one thing or two:

1.- i wasn’t using Gnome since the release of 0.62.00, but XFCE, of course it also use GTK libraries, but looks and feel different from Gnome in some mysterious way, recently that i used again Gnome, i experienced a weird behavior with the mouse, having to double click after the right-click menu appeared for having back my focus for windows, i fixed this disabling all devices, only then my mouse went back to it’s normal functions.

2.- i don’t use compiz, nor any other window manager but Metacity, as i want to have more resources of my system available at the time of working, do you think it might have something to do with Compiz?

3.- i nearly forgot to mention something else about inputs, also like a month ago, a package for X-org input devices’s library was updated, but indeed caused to much problems, i have a joypad which suddenly started to control the mouse pointer, after nearly giving it up and change back to Mandriva i looked closely to all this ‘input’ libraries for x-org, at the end was clearl that now the new updated package had the ability to direct detect my joypad, and indeed, making another library also for x-org intended for joypads and gaming devices being useless and more than that, annoyingly bugging. i don’t really know if this will help you, but better mention it now.

Also i don’t use, nor have ( =C ) any external device but my mouse, also and talking about window positions at startup, in my case the window geometry is respected and also it position in some cases, what i’ve seen so far is that window position is respected as long as the panel is larger than original size, if it’s in anyway thiner than the default panel size, then is placed as if were panel set by default

is everything i can think it might have something to do related to Window Manager or GTK performance, usage or otherwise influence

libgtk2.0-0 → 2.20.0ubuntu4 (current default GTK on Lucid)

I’m on 2.16.0. Genete - what version are you on?

edit - scratch that question - I just saw your other thread…

Did some debugging on the panels issue. It turns out that the dockdialog function “rebuild_sizes” is called two extra times when the panels mangling occurs. However, anything that slows down the program (such as a debugger) seems to prevent the issue from happening.

No idea what the actual problem is, but adding the line “sleep(1);” right after “load_settings();” in app.cpp is a functional workaround for me, even though it generates a noticeable pause at boot-up.

I’m more confused every day. I’m on ubuntu 9.10 on my workstation and in 10.04 on the laptop. I have modified “something” in metaticy and now synfigstudio doesn’t want to load the panels or the toolbox position. They are all set to 0,0. I’ve reinstalled metacity and I dont get it work :frowning:

Besides that issue, that looks like a local problem on my laptop, I think that the extra rebuild_sizes() call is not a reason to mangle the windows. It just store the current sizes of the panels into a vector of sizes to be used later.

If it is a question of speed then we have a problem. If there is another event that tries to resize the windows before or after we have resized them it means that we are not doing the things fine. As I’ve read in the gtkmm documentation, the resize(x,y) call followed by a get_sizes(x,y) can have different results because the resize(x,y) call is a request (signal emitted) and not a actual action. If the window manager is occupied and we call resize then ask for the sizes and then store them in an array, we have unexpected results.

There should be a way to resize the window and then do not call immediately the get size later to retrieve the current values. :frowning:
-G