Solved: Cut-out Animation: Rotation origins don't move

Hello,

I’ve just started with synfig a few days ago; until now I was able to find help within the existing resources, but now I’m stuck.
Im working with this tutorial: synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Cut-out_Animation, and everything was fine, BUT when I try to move the whole figure from left to right the origins of the rotation layers stay behind, which means every rotation in the new place has unpredictable results.
Sure, I can select all the rotation layers individally, link the rotation origins and then move them together with the figure (which is quite troublesome, if you want to do a longer animation). But even then, when I rotate the legs, arms etc. the composition of the figure still partly disintegrates.
There MUST be something I missed. How can I link the rotation origin to the bodypart it is used for?

I’d be very happy to get help

Hi ceka,
welcome to the forums.

It is difficult to figure out what’s the setup problem on your composition without taking a look to it. There are many common errors that can lead to unexpected results, specially if the layer hierarchy is not proper or the linked/exported values are not properly used.
Is it possible to share the file and let us take a look?
You can upload it here.
-G

Wow! That was quick! Thanks so much for helping.

I guess the sifz will not be enough, you’ll also need the png’s, even if they’re from the tutorial? I’ll just send them all…
And I send 3 sifz’s; the problem occurs between 4s and 5s

Cut-out-moved.sifz shows no problems: I moved the figure between 4s and 5s without doing anything else.
Cut-out-rotated1.sifz shows what happens, when I rotate using the ValueBase Nodes.
Cut-out-rotated2.sifz shows what happens, when I rotate using the rotate layers in the layers panel. (I’m not sure if there’s actually a different behaviour, because I rotated different angles. What I can see are different positions of the rotation origins, so maybe it SEEMS only different to me)

Tell me please if I infringe upon any forum rules or etiquette. I’m not used to this at all…
Cut-out-rotated1.sifz (1.93 KB)
Cut-out-moved.sifz (1.77 KB)
right-leg.png
right-arm.png
left-leg.png
left-arm.png
hip.png
head.png
body.png

Hello, Genete, I THINK I got it.
Today I encapsulated all the layers into one and found the child lock possibility. And it worked. I’ll attach the newest attempt. Is this the standard way for moving and transforming a figurre without disintegrating it or is there a better one?

I’d very much appreciate your comment. I’m a teacher of fine arts in a secondary and high school. At the beginning of April I’d like to do an animation workshop with students of 12 years, and I have to work out if it’s possible to use synfig with them - on a very basic level, surely…

Thanks so far
Cut out children lock2.sifz (2.38 KB)

Hi Christina,
Sorry for not reply tour response but I was busy.
Yes, Lock Children can help but the key is encapsulate all the stuff and use the origin of the encapsulated as parameter to move all the content without affect to its internals.
Lock Children works for this:
When you have a lof of layers usually they are nested encapsulated. If the user would need to go to the layers panel to select one of them in particular it could be very difficult because you have to give proper names to the layers and remember what’s what (in some cases you have hundred of layers). This is solved by Synfig Studio by the ability of select a layer by the left click of the mouse over it. Then Synfig Studio selects the layer that is first hit by the mouse click. This is useful in most of the times but can be annoying when you already have designed the content of the paste canvas and dont want to select any of its children. Here is where Lock Children comes in. When lock children is “on” and you click on any of the children the selected layer is the paste canvas parent instead.

I’m glad you found it by yourself.

That would be fantastic!!
Please tell us all the details of the results of the workshop. We are always very happy when someone takes time and passion teaching Synfig and we will very glad to know about it. Great!

-G

Thank you, Genete!
If we succeed with our workshop I’ll show you what we did; if they’re too young for this kind of stuff I’ll tell anyway.
Can I / should I mark the topic as “solved”?

Have a good time!

Sure!
Good luck!
-G

…ah, yes, and how could I do this? I was thinking about adding SOLVED to the topic’s title, but how can I get there? Is there a button I can use, or a helpfile to find out? Or is it again you who has to answer? :wink:

You should be able to hit the edit button on any of your own posts and edit the subject.

Chris

Thank you, Chris.
It’s clear as anything - I just didn’t see…