[Snap 1.5.0] Succesfully rendered file is missing

Dear Synfig Team, I have just updated to ubuntu 20.04, and I have installed the latest synfig version as well, then I uninstalled the old synfig version, so now I have only the latest synfig 1.3.5 on my laptop. Straight away I opened an old project that I made in the previous synfig version, and I tried to render it in the new synfig.

I set up the settings like this: file name.avi, target: ffmpeg, Video codecs: MPEG-4 part 2 (XviD/DivX), Video bit rate: 2500.

After rendering was 100%, and synfig said the file succesfully rendered, I was looking for the file, but I could not find it on my laptop. I typed to search as well, but the avi file is not exist. Itā€™s like synfig rendered the file, but after it doesnā€™t save itā€¦

I have tried to create a totally new video, but still not saving the rendered file in avi and in mp4. But if I render png or gift, those are good. Preview is working as well.

What can be the issue and how can I fix it? I can use synfig studio very well, but unfortunatelly, I can not use the Terminal, Iā€™m not so smart with linux, just using art applications.

I look forward to hearing from you soon,

Thank you,

Lidia

1 Like

sorry, I have this synfig version now : 1.5.0-20200708

Now I have uninstalled the new synfig and I have installed the previous synfig version again. And with the old version, I can render in avi. :slight_smile: Iā€™m very happy, becase Iā€™m working on a short animation for nearly a year, and with the old version, I will be able to finish it. But as Iā€™m not sure for how long can we use the old synfig version, please let me know, if you have any idea, why I can not render with the new version. Thank you

The official latest version currently is 1.3.16 (development version), and (pretty old) 1.2.2 (still known as ā€˜stableā€™ version ā€“ but 1.3.16 seems to be way more stable now).

Anyway, I tried to render a (blank) animation with your target specs, and everything went fine in 1.5.x branch version. :confused:

@KonstantinDmitriev:
Once again it seems it is the buggy snap test version (1.5.0).
Maybe it would be a good idea to remove it from the Snap Store as it gives a ā€œbad imageā€ of Synfig

Thank you for the quick answers. Itā€™s good to know that there is 1.3.16, I will use the old version, until 1.3.16 will be available in the software centre. :slightly_smiling_face:

1.3.16 is a dev version and will not be published in any Software Center.
Software Center is always containing older versions which may be compiled by distroā€™s maintainers from stable version source code only (like on Fedora)
or in the case of the ā€œ1.5.0ā€, it is a snap deployed on Snapcraft with the mention "Synfig Studio is only available on the unstable edge channel. It could break and change often."
1.3.16 (or any AppImage) is the same ā€œlevel of securityā€ as it has been published by the official team and you even may use several versions on the same computer.
Donā€™t stick to an old version full of bugs, it is just a file to download, make it executable and run it even from the desktop (no root rights needed) :wink:

Ok, I take your advise. Could you please tell me, is it safe to download synfig from this website: https://www.synfig.org/ ? Thank you!

Yes!
https://www.synfig.org/ is the official website.

But you can also download safely (and for free) current/old versions of stable/development in the following official sites [reference]:

Github

Sourceforge

FossHub

2 Likes

Thank you! for your help
!!

@ice0 what do you think? ^___^

@KonstantinDmitriev I think itā€™s better to fix the bugs. I will take a look.
@lidia Thanks for pointing this out.

I fixed the problem and updated the snap in the store.

@lidia can you check if this solves the problem for you?
You need to install Synfig Studio 1.4.0 from candidate channel.

I had the same problem with snap version 1.4.2. so I moved to AppImage version 1.4.2 where are no problems with rendering output.