Skeleton distortion crash

so it has been quite a few days . I doing my animtion ,I created a character with a skeleton distortion and copied it to a another project . suddenly it crashes which was usual . but when I opened the project it says unable to open it and was missing bone link . I researched the whole day but couldn’t find any solution . so I did that again and again it happened . but one fact that I was changing the bone places but it wasn’t creating keyframes in timeline . so reastarted it . plaz help at least , give me a solution to recover the files without the bones . I will never use bones again😫

here is the file if want to check
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cZxaj655Y-78AJHgDtr6XnhCzOTa3vWY/view?usp=sharing

Oh yeah, bones can cause damage, especially if you try to copy them. It’s a big no-no currently. I sent you a request for file on GDrive, let’s try to fix it.

so what should I do ? don’t copy ? make bone in current project ?

Check e-mail, I sent the fixed file.

Pretty much. Do not copy bones/skeleton deformation between files until these issues get solved:

Err, yeah, it should be safe enough… probably. Personally I avoid using bones at all. If you decide to continue using bones, I’d advise you to save your work incrementally (project1.sif, project2.sif and so on). This way you can go back if corruption happens. Also, use the current stable version (1.4.0).

oh I didn’t know update came . thnx for fixing my file

Could you report what was the problem? :slight_smile:

1 Like

The thing is, I don’t really know what’s the problem. Something happened to bones structure of ‘Skeleton Deformation’ layer. It throws the infamous “<bone> is missing link” error like so:
BrokenBones

The XML section of the ‘Skeleton Deformation’ looks like this:

<layer type="skeleton_deformation" active="true" exclude_from_rendering="false" version="0.1">
      <param name="z_depth">
        <real value="0.0000000000"/>
      </param>
      <param name="amount">
        <real value="1.0000000000"/>
      </param>
      <param name="blend_method">
        <integer value="0" static="true"/>
      </param>
      <param name="bones">
        <static_list type="pair_bone_object_bone_object">
          <entry>
            <composite type="pair_bone_object_bone_object">
              <first>
                <bone type="bone_object" guid="D8C6A54B7AE6416E03DDE03707B68FC8"/>
              </first>
              <second>
                <bone type="bone_object" guid="FD4245C71EB51C3BB53001CE14EE3F04"/>
              </second>
            </composite>
          </entry>
          <entry>
              <first>
                <bone type="bone_object" guid="8270FABEB8BC6759CA9B579A79E0EE49"/>
              </first>
              <second>
                <bone type="bone_object" guid="86990EC59CEC5813E778EF3397C30209"/>
              </second>
            </composite>
          </entry>
          <entry>
              <first>
                <bone type="bone_object" guid="3553E9DA587B5695B38D6C1434A02CB5"/>
              </first>
              <second>
                <bone type="bone_object" guid="DA6DFA424A37439651BB5365A3369BBE"/>
              </second>
            </composite>
          </entry>
        </static_list>
      </param>
      <param name="point1">
        <vector>
          <x>-4.0000000000</x>
          <y>4.0000000000</y>
        </vector>
      </param>
      <param name="point2">
        <vector>
          <x>4.0000000000</x>
          <y>-4.0000000000</y>
        </vector>
      </param>
      <param name="x_subdivisions">
        <integer value="32"/>
      </param>
      <param name="y_subdivisions">
        <integer value="32"/>
      </param>
    </layer>

Seems like bone is referencing to some GUID which is missing. I guess it’s because it was copied? Maybe, but I recall people having this problem somewhat randomly (was working fine, but then broke after save/reload).

If you got confused by the word “fixed” I used, then sorry, I didn’t really “fixed it” more like amputated damaged parts (deleted all skeleton deformation layers).

1 Like

Thank you. Noted.

I intended to (try to) work with bones sometime ago, but now only after some other internal/organization stuff.