Rendering time - multi core?

sup,

is there any way to speed up rendering? I render to *.AVI right now and it takes ages.
I noticed synfig use only one core and no GPU (after looking on the forum, it seems normal). Is there any way to split rendering to multiple cores? I found here: Rendering take's to long - #5 by H13N.H3N that you can “Also, you can speed up the render if you have a multi-core CPU. Using the CLI, you can render a png sequence using several commands…” (and I assume you clamp them together later in to the video)

Hi and welcome here :slight_smile:

One of the problems to render to AVI directly is that you do the following loop:

• Produce a frame
  • Add the frame to the AVI (taking account of the previous frames according the codec in use)

All the frames would not be rendered at the same rate and of course would need to be added in the proper order.

An approach that would be more efficient for mutli-core would be to produce PNG files independently and then merge them, as noted.

Ok, so how can I do that. I can render to png, but it still uses one core. After I generate frames, is there any software you recommend to merge them?

on a side note :smiley: :

All the frames would not be rendered at the same rate and of course would need to be added in the proper order.

you can use three cores to render frames and one frame to sort them and merge them into avi (should be simple)

To join the PNG you can use most of Non Linear Video Editors (KDEnlive, Shotcut, Openshot, …)

You could also have a look at RenderChan

And yes multi-core render would be a great improvement :stuck_out_tongue:

so there is no way to render in to png using multiple cores :expressionless:

Are you sure there’s no multicore rendering in synfig?
I see multicore rendering option in synfig preferences btw

You can have a look here, this is still open

it seems I need dev version :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As you use Windows, there is a fresh build that you could try :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip ! The 1.5 dev version is impressive, I can render with 20 threads a 6 s anim in less than 30 s, where it took several minutes in 1.4.