[Question] two different versions the same system

I already installed version 0.64.0 from my distro repository (LMDE) then I installed the 0.64.1 version .deb package available on the website but I don’t know how to run it.

PS: when I write in the terminal:

dpkg-query -l

it shows in the results that the 0.64.1 version is installed:

ii  synfigstudio   0.64.0-1     i386         vector-based 2D animation package

Maybe just type synfigstudio in the terminal would be enough?

If it doesn’t work, try to know where the executable is. Type:

$ which synfigstudio

And it would tell you the path to the executable. Then simply write the full path on the terminal to execute synfigstudio.

Anyway, when you installed the 0.64.1 vesion, didn’t it warned you to be about to replace the previous 0.64.0 version? If so, the menu entry for Synfig Studio should run the latest version.

-G

yes it warned me, but sounds that it installed both versions, when I open synfig from the main menu (as well as writing synfigstudio in the terminal) it runs the 0.64.0 version.

which synfigstudio

leads me to the 0.64.0 version path as well.

I discovered I was mistaken, only the 0.64.0 version was installed (I mistaken the 0.64.0-1).

now I removed the 0.64.0 altogether, tried to install the file:
synfigstudio_0.64.1-20131104.8_i386.deb

writing:

sudo dpkg -i synfigstudio_0.64.1-20131104.8_i386.deb

it gave me the following results:

(Reading database ... 270993 files and directories currently installed.) Preparing to replace synfigstudio 0.64.1-20131104.8 (using synfigstudio_0.64.1-20131104.8_i386.deb) ... Unpacking replacement synfigstudio ... Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/normal" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent) Setting up synfigstudio (0.64.1-20131104.8) ... Warning in file "/usr/share/applications/pcmanfm.desktop": usage of MIME type "x-directory/normal" is discouraged ("x-directory" is an old media type that should be replaced with a modern equivalent) Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ... Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ... Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ... Unknown media type in type 'all/all' Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles' Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms' Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst' Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu' Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm' Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt' Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'

any help?

hi Ahmed,

can you report the output of

dpkg-query -s synfigstudio

to check the status of the ‘synfigstudio’ package

it gives me the following results:

Package: synfigstudio Status: install ok installed Priority: extra Section: alien Installed-Size: 69304 Maintainer: root <root@synfig.org> Architecture: i386 Version: 0.64.1-20131104.8 Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.12.2), libc6 (>= 2.3.6-6), libexpat1 (>= 1.95.8), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0), libjpeg62, libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12), libtiff4, libx11-6, libxml2 (>= 2.6.27), libxrender1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.1) Description: Film-Quality 2D Vector Animation package Synfig Animation Studio is a powerful, industrial-strength vector-based 2D animation software, designed from the ground-up for producing feature-film quality animation with fewer people and resources. It eliminates the need for tweening, preventing the need to hand-draw each frame. Synfig features spatial and temporal resolution independence (sharp and smooth at any resolution or framerate), high dynamic range images, and a flexible plugin system. . (Converted from a rpm package by alien version 8.64.)

Package: synfigstudio Version: 0.64.1-20131104.8 have Status: install ok installed.

pretty good, and should respond wheel when started from the terminal / launch command ALT+F2
you should also have synfigstudio entry in the application menu (under graphics? … near gimp/inkscape/…)

is’it ok ?

sorry for late reply, I made crazy things last night and ended messing up my whole system and I had to reinstall linux.

now I have the synfigstudio 0.64.1 out of the box, I recommend deleting the topic not to confuse the future users :slight_smile:

thanks a lot for help.