Question about inkscape to synfig export

There’s a file save specifically for synfig inside inkscape (SIF), I was wondering if I was designing a character how would I go about making it ready to animate in synfig from inkscape?

Also, I use to be Zekewolf from two years ago but am now under a new alias. :slight_smile:

Due to the fact that there are some features that are supported by Inkscape in a different way than in Synfig, you may find that the composition structure of the sif file exported from Inkscape is not well suited for animation. For example, in Inkscape the shape effects are applied directly on the shape and when exported to sif, it needs to add some filter layer and then group the filter with the shape itself to prevent apply the filter to other layers. It might cause that from Inkscape there are excessive group layers to define the effects on the layers and possibly you would need less groups if you do directly inside Synfig Studio. Many groping is not good for animation, since it needs to scrub the layer stack many times to reach the layers.

Also, creating the composition within Synfig Studio, allows you to get the power of many features not supported in inkscape (Advanced Outlines, Noises, Distortions, etc.)
-G

So can’t I just do the character design in inkscape and layer the parts for animation? Like arms, hands, head, eyes, mouth? And export it another way into synfig?

I find inkscape to be easier for character designing.

1 Like

Yes, you can, and many artist do like that. I’m just mentioning that doing so, you won’t have full flexibility when animating because the SVG to SIF exporter might make more complicated the layer structure than it would be if you design from ground up within Synfig Studio.
For instance, sometimes the contours if the shapes are created in Inkscape using two filled shapes, the outer and he inner, to emulate variable width strokes. When you import that into Synfig Studio, it is more difficult to animate than using native Synfig Outlines.

-G

I see. So how would I go about tracing a character in synfig? Is there going to be an option for single window mode like Gimp 2.8 has? I feel with that gives a more complete package like feel.

I suggest draw all animated elements with Synfig. Background, static elements, etc, could be make with whatever you want.

Draw in Synfig is not so bad and when you do it a couple of times you get comfortable with it.

It’s planned. You can check out this message: Konstantin's weekly report #11

How do you save an inkscape file to be compatible with Synfig? I was unable to find the SIF extention under the ‘save as’ feature. I’ve tried saving it as a non-inkscape svg but it still give the "15 error/unexpected canvas error. If I have to learn how to draw in synfig, thats fine, but I’d really just wanted to test it out. Attacted is a picture of the file (the actual file is multi layered if that makes a difference).
Venomphone.png

How do you save an inkscape file to be compatible with Synfig? I was unable to find the SIF extention under the ‘save as’ feature. I’ve tried saving it as a non-inkscape svg but it still give the "15 error/unexpected canvas error. If I have to learn how to draw in synfig, thats fine, but I’d really just wanted to test it out. Attacted is a picture of the file (the actual file is multi layered if that makes a difference).

Where did you find the SIF save option? I’ve checked all the files under save as and I don’t know where else to look?

Which version of Inkscape do you use?

I believe its the latest version.
Inkscape 0.48.4 r9939m.

install the sif exporter here: synfig.org/cms/en/download/tools/

The Inkscape 0.49 r12742 version can save to SIF right away. You can download the Development Version of inkscape to get the feature.