Open source video editor?

What would be the best open source video editing software? I really am most interested in using synfig for graphical overlays, but WMM doesn’t do that :slight_smile:

I’m using Kdenlive myself which is good.
There is Lightworks which is a very high end professional tool that is not open source yet but are in the process of becoming so.

I also use Kdenlive. I think it is excellent - it does everything I need, and sometimes I need it to do some quite odd things!

Thanks guys. I’ll get it right now. I like to use open source as much as possible. There is no greater creative power on earth than nerds doing something for the hell of it! :slight_smile:

%@%@$%^ It’s Linux. I’m windows 7

Linux is just a 4GB pendrive away.

fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_cr … e_Live_USB

Or, just use Wubi…

wiki.ubuntu.com/WubiGuide

I like the video editor that comes with Blender and Blender is cross-platform. This intro to the editor from BlenderCookie ought to get you started:

cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/04/ … out-video/

Matt

I’m actually installing lightworks right now. I’ll see how I like it. I didn’t know Blender had a video editor, would it let me use a synfig animation as an overlay?

It never occurred to me that you could run linux from a drive USB drive… I had forgot that there was a CD boot option I’d seen before. I’ll look into that too.

I’m using OpenShot Video Editor and I’m quite happy with it.
It has a pretty intuitive interface, so I didn’t have to read many tutorials and things like this.
It can render SVG files (and allows using SVG as titles), so you can use Inkscape to draw some nice titles, if you’re accustomed with Inkscape (which is just another great linux app).
It uses gstreamer as a backend - and you know, I was amazed how fast gstreamer can be… shame on most other linux multimedia apps using gstreamer which are quite jerky. So, in a way, this was the app that rehabilitated gstreamer in my eyes.

I will suggest Microsoft Movie Maker!
Already installed on newer computers that are running Windows XP, Movie Maker has drag and drop features to make creating and editing your movie easier. Microsoft has many add-ons for this software, and upgrades are available through the website.

[list=]Lightworks
VSDC Video Editor
Avidemux
HitFilm Pro
Blender[/list]

More review on…video editing softwares