Noob Coder Needs Help

Hi all , I want to contribute to synfig but I cant figure out where to start . For example i dont understand how to build synfig , and why do we have a header and a .cpp for same filename in synfig src? Please let me know how you guys started coding for synfig when you have no idea of where to start from . I’ve seen the wiki but its a bit too booring … :neutral_face: .

Things I know := Coding (c,c++,java,py).
Things I dont know := ApI 's of different libraries used by synfig , Building tools and the class structure of Synfig like the one we have for JAVA .(Super class (object class) , Inherited classess , sub classes ) .
I use Windows 8. Please suggest a method to get started ( preferably other than fixing bugs :unamused: )

PS : I want to add some new features to synfig like a graph editor we use in blender and put the timeline in a single dock .It would give more control on tweening . I am a student and have lot of time to learn new things … :wink:

Hello, and welcome here…

great… another welcome!

that’s the way of any c or cpp program … or maybe i do not understand what you are talking about…

Read the dev wiki … is that is boring, read the code will be another pain ! try to understand and follow the things from there … (if you think you find outdated / incomplete infos … talk about it in the dev list … and we can do an update / cleanup)
Also, take a look to the dev list archive , read what’s inside forum “coding synfig” section …

can’t help you at all with that … others could …

first understand how to setup a build process in your os / configuration (maybe using a gnu/linux ,even virtual, could be easier … )
start slowly digging into the code and with a minimum of claim…
understand how to work with git
start with synfig-studio (gui) and try to do some minor and usefulness change ( “sandbox mode” ) …
and more useful ones …

if you want to add news things … take a look to the synfig issue tracker … share your ideas (dev list) before start something ambitious …

Also read that file … could be interesting :
github.com/synfig/synfig/blob/m … w-build.sh