New Head Turning (and Tutorial Update).....?

Okay, is anyone know how to work out the hair strands and z depth at the same time?
It seems that i have to work on it one by one… (and it’s pretty tiring) :confused:

UPDATE:
I just tried constant and it seems doesn’t look satisfying enough. Maybe the best way is to use all of the necessary interpolations altogether.
I don’t know. I little bit advice would be nice :frowning:

Whew… Sorry for no updates in this thread in such a long time.
For the last three weeks (a.k.a one month) i had some problems irl (including a terrible illness in my first and a half week). And yet still getting blank on the hair strands that i’m trying to work on :frowning:

Well anyway, i’m in for a question:
What would be the best possible way to make frame by frame animating easier. I’ll need it because i’m trying to achieve some kind of anime-esque movements in my animation.

That all for now, i’ll come back soon for more.

Cheers :slight_smile:

done into the the How do i section

please create a new topic for a different question. (also try a search into the forum i guess they are some infos to found)

Yay, thanks :smiley: !!!

I was going to do so. But i think i’ll just put it here for now in case someone have some tips for me. Besides, the question seems a bit similar to this (headturn animation anime style).
I might add another topic about it once i’m finished with this headturn mess :confused:

Finally!!! :mrgreen:

After many times of procrastinations and failures, i managed to create a good layers set for my headturning animation. The folders set still needs a bit more perfection but even right now it looks usable for the head, and possibly for other body parts along with its details. :smiley: . But i won’t go too far for now.

Sorry for letting this thread dusty for a month. I’m pretty much a really lazy guy :blush: . But here’s a result of the mock-up

Drawing hair is not too difficult, except if you want some shadows and good-looking strands. And i’m pretty much looking for that kind of hair unfortunately. So, instead of drawing the whole hair, i just draw a single strand, just to give you some figures of it (and like i said, this is still a mock-up but with a better progress).

I’ll try to figure out the hair for the next one, then other body parts hopefully.

Note for rendering :
Everyone should read this first beforehand wiki.synfig.org/Render_dialog
I just rendered this to gif before and somehow it glitches. Then i twiddled it again 3 to 4 times with still a glitchy result. I finally found my mistake after reading that wiki. For rendering the animation you should try with Quality = 3 first. And my mistake was changing it to 1, 4, and 9 (somehow) without knowing the consequence, making it really glitchy.
Oh, and just to be safe put the Target parameter in Target to Auto and write the file suffix in the file name on your own.

One more question : The thumbnail is super messed up here but the gif looks normal when viewing it in new tab. Please explain the reason and the solution. :open_mouth:

:smiley: Cheers 'n love :slight_smile:

Great job on the head turn!
Greetz!

Thank you very much :smiley: !!

I’ve got stumbled a bit when removing all waypoints to remake the template. I saw some annoying waypoint icons in my time track. It looks like TCB icon but it’s all grey and black. I can’t delete it at all (even right clicking on it does nothing :confused: ). So i examined the whole child layers and re-converting every single spline points in it to its default type
(Spline to spline, DIList to DIList, WPList to WPList, etc.) and somehow those grey icons are all gone.

What are those ? Is there any easier way to delete it ? :neutral_face:

http://wiki.synfig.org/Waypoint … concerning grey waypoints.
Greetz!

Yup! I did read the article and remember that i added some spline points while in animate mode when i was doing trial and error. Most possibly because of that.

I just tried some random options in advanced outlines and found out that i can actually make “spiking” strand :mrgreen: (i don’t know how to call it :unamused: )

What i did is:

1. Create a region and advanced outline layer in a strand shape

2. Check the width point visibility (uncheck spline points and handles to make it easier to see) and click advanced outline layer

3. Add one more width point by right clicking on one of the width points (Not Handles) and click “Insert item” or “Insert item and keep shape” (both do the same thing). Then move the newly added width point to the cusp (Spiky Part). Make sure you put it on the peak of the cusp.

4. Drag the other two width points to beginning and end of the advanced outline

5. Set each width points like this :
    (1). On first width point, right click, choose “Set width point to zero”, or you can set the width by yourself. Just make sure it’s lower than the width on the second one then right click again and choose “Cusp Before : Flat”
    (2). Leave width point two as it is. Or if you accidentally changed the cusp settings beforehand, just change back cusp before and cusp after to interpolate. Oh, you can resize the width as well, too. Just make sure it’s more than the first and the third one.
    (3). On third width point, do the same as the first one. But instead cusp before, choose “Cusp after : flat”
    The cusp setting is used to make the lines before and after width points “disappear”.
    Caution : The first and last width point may differ depend on where you start drawing the strand (which way the strand facing). If you start from left, then the first width point is on the most left, and if you start from the right, the first width point is on the most right. It might be complicated if somehow you moved the first width point to the cusp peak (second point’s position) so trial and error might still necessary.

As for the number 5, i prefer only setting the first and the last width point’s width to zero and leaving the second one as it is (or setting its width if necessary). Much simpler.

“Whoops” Update :
I did a bit more research and found out that setting the Cusp before and after on width handles to other than interpolate will make the line before and/or after the width point “disappear”, leaving only the width point that is visible (along with the cusps). And by setting the width of the point to zero, the width point itself will “gone” as well. Good to know!! :astonished:

This will results on a quite “spiky” strand, the one that i am really looking for. :stuck_out_tongue:
(But if not, check the advanced outlines parameter and make sure the “Cusp Type” is “Sharp”)

On a side note, this makes the beginning and the end of the outline slightly jagged. I don’t how to smoothen them yet but this is just good enough.
Also after you create this strand, you can set the start and end of the strand later on by moving spline points and the start and end of the respective width points altogether.

I uploaded a one-strand example (just in case) :wink:

For head’s progress, i just fixed the head’s folders set, made a side view ear, and some plans for hair and strands. The hair still needs more tweaking to make it headturn compatible.

:smiley: Cheers 'n Love :slight_smile:
OneStrand.sifz (1.52 KB)

Nice. Maybe this helps you to understand what Advanced Outlines can do:
youtube.com/watch?v=boM_ZC9VZ54
-G

Thanks!! Seems advanced outlines much more useful after all. :slight_smile:

So… I tried onion skin and checked its wiki : wiki.synfig.org/Onion_Skin
And it looks like that in the most recent Synfig Studio version the onion skin only display past keyframes.
Is there any way to make the onion skin display future keyframes as well ?

UPDATE: GOTCHA!!!
The canvas MetaData !!! :smiley:

Also, by the way the “broken guide” bug also still exist here. .__.v

Update: Got another stuff to know! :bulb:

it’s still possible to add the guides directly by clicking the ruler.
But i can only move the guides from the Canvas MetaData for now.

if you want to add guides from the canvas MetaData simply click “Add new entry to MetaData” (from Canvas MetaData tab) then type “guide_x” or “guide_y”. Also, you can add more guides from it as well by separating each guide’s position by a space.

Still need to learn more about the guide’s position’s scale though. :unamused:
I wonder what else can Canvas MetaData do… :astonished:

cough-cough Oh my!! Spiderwebs!!! :open_mouth:

Sorry for letting this thread sleeps for too long. I am actually working on an animation right now. But it’s still in modelling and tracing (if necessary) process. Pretty much struggling in designing a semi-realistic body parts at a moment. But at least i got a plenty of the storyboard finished. :slight_smile:

And for the head-turning thing (the main topic of this thread), i’m pretty much can say that i finally had the concept in (and saved in a template). :bulb:
But it’s not SOLVED yet, not until i can create one more example, and it has to be a lot better than the last one (with hairs and ears). :exclamation:
Well, it’s not going to be that perfect because i might upload a small teaser .gif that involving this motion here instead. :unamused:

Still, i can’t guarantee that it’s going to be finished quickly. Probably in 2 months from the day this posted (or even longer). But i’ll try my best :wink:

What’s the storyline?
It’s still a secret. And also i should work on it first. :blush:
Probably gonna tell you all when the progress reaches 75% in total.

Wish me luck, everyone!

:smiley: Cheers 'n Love :slight_smile: !!!

P.S. : I should have put this thread in “Animation related help” section instead :blush: . Oh well…