Modern iconset (light and dark)

New version, v0.3:

• 158 icons “modernized” of 213 estimated (around 190 “as today” themeables and 33 additional ones that need further code changes but make the whole set of Synfig icons themeable)

Download v.03 here: modern_iconset_v03.zip (1,3 MB)

As commented in my first post, although under Synfig v1.5.1 Preferences there is an option to change “icon theme”, it only changes some of them, not the whole set so I suggest to test the modern icons as follows:

1. browse the following path in your computer [path_to_synfig]/share/synfig/icons/
  2. rename /classic/ folder as /classic_original/
  3. uncompress the zip and place it in /icons/ folder
  4. you will find /modern_light/ and /modern_dark/ folder. Rename the one you want to use as /classic/
  5. Launch Synfig and enjoy

I’ve found more icons that are no themeables and some that may need to be splitted as they are used for different things (panels and layers) and it would be nice to have different icons for each. Also some other things that I think it’s better I move them as issues at GitHub.

1 Like

@pablogil Are you drawing them as SVG or directly as PNG?

They are indeed been designed as SVG :smiling_face: and using the amazing Inkscape.

By now I’m not sharing them as they are a work in progress and because Synfig is unable to load them natively, right?

Anyway, if you are interested I can always create a GitHub project so that you follow the progress and in case you would like to tinker with them…

Once I update our Gtk support, we can use symbolic icons :slight_smile:
https://wiki.gnome.org/HowDoI/CreateSymbolicIconsThatChangeColorAccordingToTheme

That will be great!

I have checked the link and I’m already following those rules so I think there is nothing to change when you update it but to create the folders :smiley:

New version:

• 178 icons “modernized” of 213 estimated but
  • at this point all themeable Synfig icons are finished so you could try this version and enjoy the new theme as the very best that now the app can offer
  • there are 9 that looks like they aren’t in use so I haven’t designed any replacement yet
  • there are around 33+ additional ones that need further code changes but make the whole set of Synfig icons themeable (that will be my new task: design the icons for Classic theme, then the Modern theme and finally make code changes to make them work)

Download v.04 here modern_iconset_v04.zip (1,5 MB)

As commented in my first post, although under Synfig v1.5.1 Preferences there is an option to change “icon theme”, it only changes some of them, not the whole set so I suggest to test the modern icons as follows:

1. browse the following path in your computer [path_to_synfig]/share/synfig/icons/
  4. you will find /modern_light/ and /modern_dark/ folder. Rename the one you want to use as /classic/

I hope you like the update :smiley:

4 Likes

@rodolforg, how could I check the Ghost Group layer funcionality so that I can design an icon for it? I have seen references in the source code but it looks like it is not operative… am I right?

Thanks

Ghost layers are layers that are supposed to exist in a Switch Layer, but don’t.
The Active Layer Name parameter of a Switch Layer can be set/animated with non existent inner layers. In this case, Synfig Studio will show fake/bogus layer children with those names.

A user-written sif file can have it, but here is a way to make it, and the correspondent file:
ghost-layer.sifz (1,2,KB)

1. In Synfig Studio, create a new file
  2. Draw a circle and rename it as Circle093
  3. Draw other two circles and name them as Circle02 and Circle03
  4. Select all layers (ctrl+shift+a)
  5. On Layers Panel, right-click on any of them and select Group Layers into Switch
  6. Enable Animate Mode
  7. Select the Switch layer on the Layers Panel
  8. On Parameters Panel, choose the Circle093 in the Active Layer Name parameter
  9. On Layers Panel, rename the layer Circle093 as Circle01
    ^- Now there is the problem. To make it visible, close and reopen this or:
  10. Skip to other time (10f, for example)
  11. Choose the Circle02 in the Active Layer Name parameter
  12. Look at the layer children of the Switch layer.

Other way to make it happen is to import a lipsync file that you didn’t prepare all the mouth shapes.

1 Like

Thanks @rodolforg, now I know how to get a ghost layer but… is this a bug? I mean, in what scenario would it this be useful?

I would say that if you rename a layer which is inside a Switch Layer, then the Active Layer Name should update with the new name, doesn’t it?

Finally, I guess this is the ghost layer that I should design the icon for, right?
ghost

Thanks again

Not necessarily a bug.
If user is using lipsync file, it can happen too, until user set all mouth shapes.
It works as a reminder or warning that such named layer should exist.

Got it, thanks again.

How about these two options?

• option 1: a normal layer group partially transparent
  • option 2: a “warning group layer”

Any opinions? @KonstantinDmitriev @lobozamora @Khemardi @FirasH @Svarov
Maybe the second option, but with question mark ? ?

1 Like

Why not to add a little Ghost on the folder?
:ghost: (<- Not necessarily this one)

Or even better, one of the Good Ghosts of our friend @nethertales !

2 Likes

Here you have all the proposed options:

I can also design a ghost, but I think it’s too literal and does not represent what the “functionality” really does. :face_with_peeking_eye:

The frowning face ghost :smile:

@rodolforg I like Ghost Layer (option 1) but I think if it was a light grey in the same lowered opacity it would work better. Something like below:

two

or even dotted outline:

one

2 Likes

I don’t see an unified answer… what should I do? :sweat_smile:

I’m happy to say the theme is nearly finished, IMHO it’s 99% done just waiting for you to test it and get feedback.
Summing it up:

• 215 icons redesigned
  • all icons have been themed (if you find any missing, please, let me know)
  • future plans are to add icons to commands that now have no icons (for instance “Canvas/Options…”). BTW, I have listed them in the following image)

Download v09 from here modern_iconset_v09.zip (1,6 MB)

As a last thought, now is the moment to test how the “Icon theme” option under Preferences work as it looks like it doesn’t work properly (tested under macOS and Synfig 1.5.1)

I hope you like it!
:smiley:

2 Likes

Hey, pablogol.

What are the icons that don’t change when using the icon theme folder?

I took a screenshot, in red the ones that even restarting Synfig doesn’t change:

The curious thing is that if I rename the folder /classic/ to /classic_bak/ and /modern/ to /classic/ then the icon theme works perfectly…

1 Like