Mobile app explainer video for CrowdPlayer

I used Synfig 1.0RC on linux to create the explainer video for my mobile app:

youtu.be/_y2YgGTMvqg

Synfig handled it well, I have yet to see anything else that would have been easier, on any platform. Making the source videos into .lsts was a minor irritation easily solved with a bash script.

Designed at 24fps but I had to render it at 50 or 60 otherwise the ‘jukebox logo moving and zooming’ bit was offputtingly jerky. I did 50 to save on rendering time but YouTube seems to have upped it to 60 so I’ll do that if I have to re-render it.

Needed the odd bit of help on the way, thanks to people over in the help forum!

After some fiddling I decided I prefer not splitting the ‘time offset’ into Linear. I do pause the videos at random points so it would be handy to just set the rate to -1, but then the offset needs to be manually re-calculated vs global time so it turned out to be easier to do that with two linear endpoints.
I had to do a lot of time wrangling to get the two/three phones in sync as they weren’t all recorded in one take, I ended up ‘cheating’ using a few masks with different videos.

I added the soundtracks using kdenlive, again a great tool. Voiceover came from fiverr.com.

Comments/suggestions welcome!

Hello,
At last I had some time to see your video.
Congratulations! I hope your mobile app gets a well reception between costumers.

About the video, I note that there are several gaps where is silence, I mean there is no voice there. It looks a little awkward, on the other hand, it’s just my opinion, trying to be critic.

In some part of the video, I believe you could had “zoom” the app interface a little more, in order to see better the text.

About Synfig, I think it’s NOT OK have to increase to 60 fps in order to avoid that “offputting” (does it mean “shaking”,“tremor”?). Let’s hope that in the future that behaviour could be fixed.

In my case, even Synfig 1.0 crashed randomly, from my point of view. I don’t know if it’s because my system is very old (Ubuntu 32 bits in a P4 machine :blush: ), or because I first make my artwork in Inkscape and then export to Synfig… or something else. I’ve tried to fix it deleting it and installing again from the last version. At the moment, I haven’t tried a “stress test”.
So, Synfig crashed in your system :question:

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. Others have said that to me too… where there’s no voiceover I want people to be looking at the phones in action so they can see how it works. Maybe I can come up with some words to say that describe what’s happening!
And yes you’re right, I could zoom a bit more. Easy to do as each phone is a layer group.

When the logo resizes and moves across 75% of the screen width in about 1 second at 24fps it looks very jerky, not shaking but not smooth. Synfig is doing it correctly, if I step through the result video frame-by-frame it is moving the correct distance each frame but that distance is quite a lot relative to the size of the logo so it doesn’t look so good. I think for the rest of it - fading text and slowly moving larger objects - 24fps might be OK but it’s definitely worth considering upping the framerate if needed.

Yes, Synfig 1.0 crashes for me randomly as I step through frames. I have raised a bug report about it but it’s not 100% reproducible, it doesn’t do it on exactly the same frame, and I’ve got many active layers so wasn’t able to narrow down what’s causing it.
The 3-minute auto-save works though, and Synfig starts up really quickly so it was annoying but not a showstopper. I’m using Fedora 64-bit.

You can add Captions to your Explainer Videos.It’ll increase the user Experience to the Explainer Videos.I’ve added Captions for my Explainer Videos from Transcription Services US and it worked really well.

About the video, I note that there are several gaps where is silence, I mean there is no voice there. It looks a little awkward, on the other hand, it’s just my opinion, trying to be critic.

In some part of the video, I believe you could had “zoom” the app interface a little more, in order to see better the text.

You may some times take help from video production companies such as studiotale

This forum is about Animation and Free Software in general.
Closing this thread as it is becoming only a place for (closed source) product placement, without interest but for professionals.