So, as part of the same project, I made a script that allows to convert between the file formats my framework supports.
I can now make a direct comparison between loading svg into synfig.
From the same SVG file, on the left is the file as imported by synfig, on the right my conversion script
Colors are a bit different, I think the default importer assumes I have a gamma of 2.2, while my converter keeps RGB values the same, so it works with a gamma near 1.
I also tried with inkscape’s sif export but it causes inkscape to crash and the generated sif file is invalid (some issue about a blurred layer).
Some issues I’ve found with synfig’s built-in SVG importer:
- ellipses are missing, and paths using ellipse arcs are broken
- I assume this is because synfig doesn’t properly convert ellipses to bezier
- some paths have the wrong bezier tangents
- some lines have the wrong width
- inkscape layer names aren’t preserved (not part of SVG proper but a bit unfortunate)