linking problems

I’ve painted an arm (a lot of bline curves) and a cercle segment (see the attachment). I want to animate a part of this arm, from elbow to fist, make it move by cercle arc. I have been trying a lot, but always get wrong result, because can’t link the objects to each other the way I want.
First of all I managed to link the curves forming an arm to each other, so that if I move an origin of one curve, all others move as well.
But when I tried to link one of the origins to a cercle segment bline curve, connections between arm lines slit. If I try to recover them I loose the bline linking.
Can you please explain, what I have to do to make an animation of an arm, moving around its cubit by cercle trajectory?
fist.sifz (5.59 KB)

Linking won’t work in your case because moving the origin of the layers linked to the arc won’t rotate the elbow to the fist though the arc.
You have to do it manually by using the rotate tool, the keyframes and the onionskin. I’ve added a background and a Time Loop layer to make it repeat.
Animation can be improved by tweaking the timing but I have not more time to play with. :wink:
-G

EDIT: looks like I messed it up a finger :blush:
fist.gif
fist.sifz (22.8 KB)

I just can’t do it the same way.
How do you use rotate tool?
If I select a lot of vertexes, it rotates them around some kind of “center” of all this vertexes.
How do I rotate around origin (or another point I would specify)? How to use this tool?

Create a layer rotate. Put it up of all layers that you want to affect the rotation.

With rotate layer selectec, move the green dot to the center rotation that you want. To rotate, move the blue dot. It is the fastest and safe way of rotate objects in Synfig.

tried rotate layer, after rotating linking between vertices lost (I connected the boundary vertices of a shoulder and an elbow), see the attachment.
Maybe there is some tutorial how to do something like that?
fist.gif

Noooo, you can! :open_mouth:

First you have to select the handles and the vertices of the part you want to rotate.
For less tool changes I use the Transform tool (the one that is a pointer icon in the toolbox). If you look to the tool option panel it says tat you can use the tool to translate, if you press and hold CRTL you can use it to rotate, if you press and hold ALT you can use it to scale and if you also press and hold SHIFT you can restrict the other transformations to certain values.
So, once you have selected the handles just click one of the selected and drag it while hold pressed the proper key. If the rotation doesn’t give you the correct rotation origin, just leave the CTRL key and using the mouse, reposition the shape on its place.
I used the reference circle and the onion skin to do that.
Notice too, that I created a group of layers to quickly select them and then select the right handles with less work.

Try it! You’ll be very happy when you learn this technique!
-G

Guess I’m quite stupid or my hands are wry, but even repositioning doesn’t work for me properly.
I select the vertices, rotate them, try to move them to the other place, and the object moves to the wrong destination, not the one I brought the object to!

After reading a lot I came to an understanding, that I’m trying to do animation a wrong way.
I would rather study and try to use more of traditional animation technics, in place of trying to make my computer do all the process, because if I don’t, my cartoons would look a little to “flash-animated”, what I wouldn’t like.
So sorry for bothering you and great thanks for your help efforts :slight_smile:
And again, great thanks for work you are doing.

When I have time, I’ll do a screencast of the animation of your arm. Please don’t give up! :frowning:
-G

Hi!
With synfig you have a choice: Either you choose to do point to point animation, keyframe animation or traditional frame by frame animation by fiddling with constant interpolation and the amount of the alpha channel to mimic animating on two’s for example, but whatever program or workflow you use, it will require some determination. Like Genete is saying, don’t give up yet.
Greetz!

Heh, I wouldn’t give up so easily of course and I know, it does require determination.
What about screencast, yeah, I guess it would be great, thanks.
I’m turning my attention for other things for a while, because I really waste time with this stupid linking and rotating as it’s not so serious problem. Using this tools, almost every time I get new unexpected effect and this is frustrating.
The serious problem is that I’m not a good drawer, so I decided at first to do some lessons from this site and develop my brain for art and this will take months at minimum. Meanwile I’m walking through different synfig tutorials, so maybe I’ll learn all I need there, learning Inkscape (as I understood, Inscape is more powerful for vector drawing, so I can do drawings there and then import them to synfig when I need. I have already installed a plugin for export from inkscape to synfig) and going to learn Blender a little bit, so that I can use it on occations when making one 3d object is easier than a lot of drфwings of the same object from different angles of view.
When I get ready to do animation with characters and backgrounds, then I would think, what synfig tools I shall really need to work. For now, I just do not need this arm :slight_smile: It was just a little getting around.

Give this arm a look it may help you.

arm.sifz (3.95 KB)

Herb, Wow, thanks!