Library of Poses

Hello Folks, I am writing this small tutorial with a technique created by Genete, explaining how to
replace objects to improve character animation.

How it works?
Well, let’s suppose we have two or more “poses” drawn for a hand; and in a specific time it should change from one posed hand to another one.

Genete goes beyond ( we can see and download the file following this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=669
; he linked the hand object to an animated arm ( vector animated, i. e. waypoints ), through a hidden bline placed in the wink position; so he linked the hand to the hidden bline with the “link to bline” option.

In this simple tutorial I will write just the first part ( create a library to store all the hand poses ) because this is what I am using in my short movie:
Let’s call this: “Creating a library of poses”

Why use this technique? Because sometimes the “vector animation” doesn’t solve all we need, or simply spend more time as using a pre-created pose for a body part.
So we have these three poses for a hand ( as you can see, it would be difficult to solve as a vector animation ):

Step 1:
Encapsulate each pose hand layer. Right click on the object layer --> encapsulate. That’s it, simple.

h

Step 2:
Go to inline canvas and choose the option “export” for each one encapsulated.

repeat this step for all hands.

Step 3:
Now check the library created in the canvas Browser panel ( the blue sphere icon panel ).

Step 4:
with the library created, you can remove the encapsulated layers in the layers panel. Right click on the layer --> remove layer.

Step 5:
Create an empty “Paste canvas layer” ( this layer is the “content” layer for the library ). I’ve named it “hands”.

Step 6:
To use the library just select the “empty” Paste canvas layer, and in the parameters panel, you choose from a pull down menu the pose you want.

P.S.: if you want to edit the object after creating the library, no problem, you can double click on it ( inside the canvas Browser panel - the blue sphere one panel )

Here is the file with a simple animation using rotate and stretch: http://www.4shared.com/file/113285174/3d548c41/hands.html
Sorry about little problems: I did the vector art in inkscape and exported with svgtosif…the file is big and the pivot points of the hands are not at the same position.

• Tip: to see the keyframes created when you changed the hand pose, just encapsulate the “paste canvas layer”; you will see this in the file.

And how I am using this technique now in the short movie?
Well, for now, I am using it with the face parts ( eyes, mouths, expressions…), but latter I’ll use it with the body parts ( hands, feet, torso, head rotations ).

That’s it! Thanks Genete ( all the credits!!)

I’m happy you liked the technique! but the export canvas and reuse them later is not my discovery! it was build it in Synfig!.
Congratulation for your first tutorial!. :smiley: Looking forward the second part
-G

Thank you!
This technique is going to be very useful for me.