Konstantin's weekly report #33

Hello, everyone! It’s time for another weekly report.

As it was announced, Ivan is working on optimizing the Synfig Studio render engine.

First of all, he added a small piece of code, which allows us to benchmark the rendering speed on the workarea. Then I have injected this code into different versions of Synfig, namely - 0.64.0, 0.64.1, Master development branch and Optimized development branch.
So, now we can compare rendering speed and accurately estimate results of optimizations.

After that Ivan have started implementation of “Reworked Transformation Stack” (see description in my previous report).
By this moment he have done with Group Layer. Now, if you have multiple nested groups with different transformations applied, then the result won’t be re-calculated for each group. The transformation will be done only once.

Right at the moment Ivan fixing the last bugs and proceeding to implementing the same approach for individual transformation layers - Translate, Rotate, Scale, Stretch.

After that I will be able to do the benchmark tests and present you detailed comparison graphs. Although I already have some preliminary test data, I would hold myself form making any conclusions.
Until then you can watch the current progress by following this branch -
github.com/blackwarthog/synfig/ … -rendering

Meanwhile, we have an increased activity of other contributors.

Djay keeps doing small but valuable fixes, polishing the general behaviour of Synfig. Here’s a list of bugs he closed last week:

Yu Chen presented a reworked design for Tool Options Panel. It is done for Circle Tool only at the moent, but the rest should be much easier to implement after.

And here’s a screenshot of finished implementation:

The code is available here - github.com/jcome/synfig/tree/tool-options-panel
For more information please checkout this forum thread - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5000

That’s all for today, stay tuned!

No development packages this time?
-G

No packages for now. :slight_smile: