is Motion Tracking the correct terminology

I want to overlay a new object to cover an existing element in a video. I hope this can be accomplished other than frame by frame manually. What would be the terminology to express this function?

I hope to export as animated GIF so precision needn’t be exacting.

Yes, motion tracking is the correct term. Synfig studio doesn’t have any tool for this so you have to do it manually or you could do your animation in Synfig and then use some other tool like Blender to track the video and comp your animation into it.


I think that if the tracked object it’s just moving in a predictable direction, it’s not necessary a frame by frame technique. Just use key frames and perhaps a transformation layer.