Interest for a generic template (layer generation) engine?

Hello.

I recently updated a script to generate layers from external (~spreadsheet) data and templates (sif edited to contain some placeholder-variables).

It is currently “tuned” to generate (animated) text from subtitles files… but could as well generate any other type of layer (or complex group) provided you/I develop a template for it. I am thinking, a.o. of particles layers (with templates for snow, star, flow/rain, fireworks,…), nature (templates of hill, cloud, tree…)… and maybe even complex animations (dynamic systems,… in this case you’d provide the name of a few canvas to link in the template and animation “tweak” values in the data).

My question is: would you prefer one generic template engine, or a few separated/specialized ones, such as currently existing:

The interest I see in 1 generic is that a single “framework” would provide support (GUI & CLI interfaces, template engine…) in a flexible way to all. Synfig (advanced) users could then focus on creating the right template for their use (be it text animation or particles or trees or dynamic systems…) without having to redo the “engine” part each time.

The “disadvantage” lies in the complexity and rigidity (design needs to fit “most” cases) of the whole approach… but if a few more are interested in contributing that could become quite fun & easy !

Some graphical idea for a possible futur attached below :wink: … you’d access such a dialog from a menu item, or a right-click on 1 layer and selecting “generate more layers here”, for instance.