Installing Synfig on Mac OS X Using Fink…

Hello,

I had a question. I have been trying to install and build Synfig for almost two years now on Macintosh. Fink was recommended on the Synfig.org website as an alternative to X11, but I am not so sure as to how to link to the Fink repositories for Synfig. They are listed on the Fink website, but the links seem dead. Are these links taken offline? Because, if the Synfig website recommends Fink and the links are offline, how do you compile using Fink? Any assistance is appreciated and I would be very grateful to get any help. Thanks.

It seems that the fink packages has not been updated to the current release (0.62.01). Maybe you can poke the maintainer and ask him to update to the current version.
It is not easy for us to maintain the version for the platform that is not our native platform. We are basically working on Linux platform and provide binaries for deb and rpm packaging. There is also a Microsoft Windows maintainer that keeps up to date the binaries for each stable release. But unfortunately we don’t have anyone in the team that regularly do Mac binaries or maintain the fink packages.
There are some threads where people has tried (and did successfully) build for Mac OS natively but the task is quite hard and tedious and can be only done by people who has a Mac.
Here is one of the most commented ones:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=822
-G

Thanks for the timely response to my post, Genete. i have another question. How do I contact the Fink repository maintainer? I am assuming I have to go onto the main Fink website, but who is the maintainer of the repositories? I also have Synfig for Windows, but I thought it more productive to have the application for both systems. I use Macintosh platforms almost exclusively and have for over seventeen years. So, I figured I could get the best of both worlds and get both packages on one system. Since I have an Intel iMac, I can do just that.

It has both Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Windows XP Home Edition (which I intend to upgrade to 64-bit 7 Ultimate in the near future). Again, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

-artisan21

P. S.: I also enjoyed the realistic animation on your profile picture of the dog walking cycle. I assume that you designed that and with Synfig. Am I correct? It is pleasantly done. Anyway just curious. Again, thanks.

If you carefully look to the page of the of the fink package link it says:

so you can email him.

Yes, the avatar is full Synfig made. You can find the source file here:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1242

-G

Hi, Genete,

I e-mailed Hisashi Fujinaka about the update. He wasn’t aware of the fairly recent update to 0.62.01, but will get on it, he said. So, when the packages are updated, I suppose I use Fink in the Terminal to get and install the packages. Is this correct? Please bear in mind that I am new to Fink and compiling in general. I am learning. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

I did poke Todd when we released 0.62.01, but he was quite busy at the time, and I try not to bug him too often.
Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s anyone here except Todd who knows how it works. You can probably google the answer to most of the basic questions you might have about Fink, and if there are any specific ones about how Synfig is packaged, you’ll have to send him an email or direct message him on IRC (freenode) (he’s htodd there)

Rgds,
Chris

Hi guys. I’m trying to install synfig on a MacBook with fink. When I try to run, I have this message:

I think perhaps it’s possible to install that 10.0.0 version, but I don’t know how to do it (I’ve searched in google whithout succes).
Do you know what can I do?
Thanks.
failed synfig.zip (13.9 KB)

It looks like you have both MacPorts and fink on your system? Or did someone give you a binary they built? Either way, I don’t have many suggestions.

Yes, I think. I was not able to uninstall MacPorts. Perhaps the only way will be to reinstall MacOs X.
Do you know if I can use Time Machine to reinstall the software after the OS install? or I’ll have the same problems if I use Time Machine?

I’ve find another solution: to use Parallels 6. This version allows you to get the full screen, so I’ll use Synfig on Ubuntu. (Anyway, I’ll continue to try the native Mac install).