image by image animation

Hey!

I was just wondering, is it possible to create image by image animation in Synfig with png images?

if yes, then how?

any good tutorials?

Yes, it is possible. There are some ways to do that:

1. Animate the filename parameter: Import the first image and animate (modify in animation mode) the filename parameter of the Image layer giving the following image file names you have done.
  2. Import all the images and change its visibility along the time: Using the Amount parameter of the Image Layer with Constant interpolation you can make visible what ever image file along the time, producing the animation of the images.
  3. Using paste canvas layers: Import each image and encapsulate it using a paste canvas layer. Then export the canvas parameter of each paste canvas layer. Later in other paste canvas layer, using the canvas parameter, select the exported canvas in animation mode (animate the canvas parameter using the previous exported ones. That would allow to reuse the image layer in several places at the same time.

In all the cases, it is important to keep the relative location of the image files from the sifz file when moving the animation documents from one place to other in the same or different computers.

Also, animation of image layers is not the only way to combine images inside Synfig Studio. You can use the cut out technique to rotate, zoom and translate too. Any other kind of effect can be applied that way (shade, color correction, distortions, blurs, etc.) using the set of synfig’s filter layers.

See wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Cut-out_Animation
-G

Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

I’ll give it a try and get back to you

are there by the way any videotutorials about this type of animation?

I don’t know any.
-G

that’s okay… :slight_smile:

I’ll get back to you after I tried your isntructions :slight_smile:

thanks again! :slight_smile:

I tried the first method but the images faded out instead of automatically going from the first image to the second image etc to create the animation. :frowning:

I checked if there was any setting I forgot to change but everything looked okay to me…

what am I doing wrong?

Download the dog walk cycle from this link:
viewtopic.php?p=6816#p6816
The Image layer file name parameter is animated. Just do the same with your images.
-G

I’ll take a look…

thanks! :smiley:

Check the interpolation mode - I bet you have TCB, Ease in/out or linear. You want Constant.

Chris

I was only able to find linear, nearest neighbor, cubic and cosine when I checked the interpolation,

it was set to linear couldn’t find any ease in/out option

no constant either :frowning:

Update… never mind found it :slight_smile: