icons - render & preview icons redesign

[size=150]Why[/size]
Render and preview icons on the right top of the canvas window are not clear enough for a user to understand and distinguish, there are so many (seven) CIRCLE looking icons staying in canvas window :frowning:

[size=150]Relevant Artworks
[/size]

maya.png
k-3d.png
blender.png

[size=150]Proposals[/size]
Here is my proposals of Render and Preview. They are just concepts not the finished works.

Render ------------------ Preview

ā€”

the sif files

and the screenshot for your reference
synfig-icon-render-n-preview-proposals.png

Not bad ideas. 99% of clapper boards Iā€™ve seen open from right to left. I would also modify in some way the colors. They doesnā€™t match with the rest. Maybe they are too saturated for my taste.
-G

Genete, thanks for your input.

The bellow Images are linked directly to my icon git repository, once I commit new version, they will updated as well. :mrgreen:

------------

[size=150]Render[/size] ------------------------------- [size=150]Preview[/size]

Can I see them in real size?
-G

Resize your browser Genete :wink: Though of course not precise :slight_smile:

Still work in progress. Once the artworks satisfy me, I will post a screenshot to show how it looks in real app. :slight_smile:

updated, I donā€™t like this version still. more work needed, :frowning:
render-n-preview.png

Git is an awesome tool for icon designing job :slight_smile:
We can trace all the improvements according to the commits, for example, the new Render Options icon:

1 - initial idea

2 - trial 2

3 - trial 3

4 - trial 4

Some detail improvements needed still, and should switch to use tango color palette in the final artwork.

5 - trail 5
In my local repo, not commit to the github repo yet.

You can trace the full history here in my synfig_ui/icon repository hosting on github.com.

doneļ¼hope you like them.

Screenshot-1.png

Screenshot-"Synfig Animation 1" (Root).png

Edited : update the Render Option Iconā€™s link to the correct version :slight_smile:

Looks good to me. I would like to read someone else opinion too.
-G

Yes, they both look great. They do everything free desktop icons should - they have distinctive outlines, would work in two colours for visually impaired people, they describe their function in a non-cultural specific way

Personally Iā€™d prefer it if the clapper-board had white and black chevrons instead of orange and black but that is very minor!

Iā€™ve been following their development and seen that you put a lot of work into them - well done jcome!

Thanks.

Make a new one according to your input:

I like this B&W version more than orange one.

I like your design very much. Especially when the clapper board got grey.

Do they come through clear as what they stand for? Preview and render? Is there a clear line between a projector and preview, clapper board and render?
i know these thoughts should have come a few weeks ago, sorryā€¦
I canā€™t think of any better analogies than these though.

Before I started these redesign, I researched other animation softwares. Most of (3D) animation applications use clapper board as render symbol including maya, 3dmax, k-3d, blender. But I canā€™t find a common symbol/icon for Preview function :frowning: so I took projector as new Preview symbol.

Maybe we can tweak the clapper a bit to have an alter version of it as Preview icon.

And I updated the first post of this topic by adding relavent artworks :slight_smile:

Although, as rylleman says, the clapper-board is an imperfect metaphor, jcome is right that it is widely used for render and so would be familiar to many users. The preview icon is very good too - it looks like a simplified Moviola.