I can't open my animations, no matter which version I use

I created an animation using several of the old versions of Synfig, starting with Synfig Studio 1.2.2. So, after a year or so, I tried to reopen the animation recently, with four different versions of Synfig, including the latest, Synfig Studio 1.4.3. None of these versions will open the animation. I spent a lot of time making it, and I’m wondering if theres’s a way to rescue my creation. Thanks for any help.

Which error message does Synfig show?

The error messages all say layer “import” rejected value for parameter filename. When I open up the animation, I can see the file names appear in the box on the right hand bottom of the workspace, and their waypoints when I highlight them. But all I can see in the workspace is the blank checkerboard screen.

Could you share the file?

I’m not sure how to share the file, but all of the layers are blank. The file names are visible in the list of files. The origin control box is visible, along with a rectangle showing the area the layer occupies, it’s just that the actual layer is invisible.

You can upload it here or send me privately.
Possible problems:

• somehow synfig corrupt the data in filename parameters
  • the files do not exist where they should be
  • other unknown reason I can think now

Here’s a couple of screenshots of the screen with the error messages, and the screen after I close the box with the error messages. Thanks for your help.

Check whether the filename was relative or full path in the parameter (under 1.2.2).
If it is the case, try to place the imported .png in the same directory as the .sifz file, and make each of them imported as relative.
Then save and try to open in the newer version.
Also try to rename the files to avoid spaces :stuck_out_tongue:
I hope it will work, otherwise get ready to modify directly inside the xml of the .sifz

I’ll try that. Thanks for the advice.