How to draw if I do not have a graphics tablet?

As I previously just used video and photo editing software, I haven’t bought any graphics tablet as I had no use of them, and now there is a lockdown in my city, So I can’t go out right now to buy one.

So do you have some tips or suggestions on how I can draw with my mouse on my desktop, or is there already an AI tool to do this? Or can I draw with my iPad or iPhone?

1 Like

Draw however you want with anything you want.

If you want to do animation with Synfig, and specifically want to do vector animation, you need to use something like Inkscape which is Vector Graphics software (also Inkscape exports to .sif file directly) or something like Adobe Illustrator.

And also you can think of vector art as drawing with the mouse because you create basic shapes and curves with Vector graphics rather than the drawing with brushes (in raster drawings). Vector has an unlimited resolution, so you can scale your animation to any resolution. Vector graphics is a set of mathematical instructions that tell the software how to draw (lines, curves, colors, etc).

For Inkscape tutorials, you can watch LogosByNick

After some practice, you can create anything in Inkscape.

Taking about AI tools I don’t know any :slightly_frowning_face:.

Also you can look at animations that are created in Synfig, by me (files are included)

2 Likes

Just a prediction, I think @Vinny58 is replying to me right now.

Or he’s replying to veermetri.

To me, I preferably like to use Krita for my animations in Synfig Studio. It’s been my main program for drawing for about two years. (You can’t export them as a .sif file, but I find it pretty fun to use.)

You can also do it the “old way”: paper, pen and scan (or photo).
Then vectorize it by hand or with the dedicated tool : Vectorization of Bitmaps — Synfig User Manual 1.4.0 documentation
For more tutorials about this process, you can visit the site of our friend @bazza https://4232.cf/category/tutorial/
:wink:

2 Likes

Thanks!, But I want to mark your answer as a solution, but there is no option to do so but in other forums, there is an option wherever I have visited. How could I mark your answer as a solution?

What I did was that fist of all changed the mouse sensitivity and lowered it then set the inkscape smoothness to highest value possible used a good and comfortable mouse pad and started exercising I suggest you to try drawing circles and straight lines both horizontally and vertically
And also if you’re lines are sharp or noisy try simplifying your lines
Also the mouse sensitivity is very different between mouses and OSs usually you need to lower the mouse sensitivity but see what you are comfortable with

Vectorizing doesn’t try it, but with scanned paper it’s a slow and fat process, I don’t recommend it to anyone with synfig.

@veermetri05 - Did you ever create any tutorials of all the wonderful animations that you have made? You could have set YT on fire with your tutorials.

@DevinChopra , if I remember correctly, you are on the shotcut forum, aren’t you?

If you are, nice to meet you again.

1 Like

Yes @Ar_D it’s me, trying to learn Synfig as well as other apps. Good to know that you are here as well.

1 Like

Yes, I am here too. Infact I have been practicing for months to learn synfig. Plus, my first professional synfig animation is going to get completed today.

2 Likes

@Ar_D Do share the link, would love to see your work - who knows, we may collaborate on a project :smiley:

1 Like

Ya, I will definitely inform you when I finish it. Regarding the collaboration, I can’t do it right now, I am not free, I barely get any time from the job and business together.

Maybe we could do that next month, or in the mid 2022.

One thing go remember with me, I am a perfectionist, so I might take longer times to finish something. I can’t tolerate even a single mistake, so it takes me a lot of time to finish something.

1 Like

No I didn’t, I can’t get time from college. I started using Synfig when college were online, (just join the meeting and keep making animations :sweat_smile:). But now I don’t have enough time, I will try if possible.

I would like to join :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Added you to the discussion on the pm (personal message). You can collaborate with him.

Hi @qinghua thanks for replying, so it’s been 2 years since the topic started, and the lockdown ended too. I specifically mentioned that I couldn’t buy one because of a lockdown, but now I do have it. As I have mentioned in the following topic:-

However thanks for using your precious time for writing down a helpful post.

I accidentally ran into this post and that is when I decided to try synfig. I haven’t drawn in years but I’m doing colored pencils and having a lot of fun. I’m going to draw with the colored pencils and see if I can get it up on synfig. I’m old and a lot more use to real paper and pencil so I think I will do better that way and then see if there is a way to even get some elements to move.

1 Like

I hope your journey in synfig would be fun, maybe you could digitally recreate some of your childhood drawings and share them to us on the forum.

You are never too old to do what you like, instead you become younger doing those, rediscovering your inner childhood for the thing, and getting joy by rediscovering your childhood :heart:

In my eyes you are the youngest man in his prime time.

1 Like

Well, I am relearning drawing. I will put up my colored pencil lesson when I finish it, Thanks for your wonderful words :smile_cat:

1 Like