How do you download the new synfig?

Hi, My husband couldn’t figure out how to download the new synfig. I’m worse off than he so please tell us how to do this.

There is a download link on this blog post Synfig Studio 1.4.5 released – Synfig

Or alternatively, navigate to synfig.org, and on the homepage you will find links to the stable version, and development version.

Thanks so much. We weren’t sure which one was the new one the stable or the development one.

You can see (most of) the links in this post

Synfig uses Semantic Versioning:

Given a version number MAJOR.MINOR.PATCH, increment the:
* MAJOR version when you make incompatible API changes
* MINOR version when you add functionality in a backward compatible manner
* PATCH version when you make backward compatible bug fixes

Besides, Synfig follows a (old? solid?) version numbering that uses odd numbers for minor version to mean development release, and even numbers for stable release. Linux kernel used to take this approach too (I don’t know how it is currently).

So, 1.0.x, 1.2.x and 1.4.x are stable versions; 1.1.x, 1.3.x, 1.5.x are development versions.
Next stable version would be numbered as 1.6.0 and will be based on 1.5.x releases.

By “stable” we mean we would avoid changing stuff that could cause regressions, more bugs or a break on workflow, for example. And “changing stuff” could mean adding some feature or even fixing a complex bug.

Unless it is so bad that it also majorly effects the workflow, in that case, there could be a update to stable version.eg:- Like what happened with shotcut when they introduced time revamping.

1 Like