Help Rendering

Hi,

Went through the tutorials and this program seems awesome!! I was able to achieve the simple animations I needed for a video presentation. HOWEVER, I’m down to the final steps - rendering - I’ve followed two tutorials I found online, can’t seem to get any of the .avi / mpg / mpeg / mp4 / ogv or anything to create a file. .avi using Windows 7 seems the best - I get no errors in the command window, and the application takes around 21 seconds to render (shows that render has completed), doesn’t crash (as some options) - I’m using as many defaults as possible - but no matter what I cannot get a file to create.

I need to be able to use this file in my nonlinear editor.

Help me understand what I am doing wrong??

Love the program and happy to make a donation if I can get this to work!

thanks,
-Scott

Forgot to mention, I’m on Windows 7 64-bit. Using the latest alpha version available on the synfig.org site.

I’ll keep fiddling, did some forum reading and found a few suggestions. This is a helpful place!

If I try to render an .avi file, I get “unable to find a suitable output format for C:\Program Files…”

.mpg, mp4 and mpeg will hang or crash the app.

From reading, it look like ffmpeg commands aren’t responding as Synfig expects.

I have my paths set up correctly so both ffmpeg and synfigstudio.exe are accessible from anywhere. i wonder if there’s an older version of ffmpeg.exe that works appropriately in Windows?

From my experience Synfig can be a little clumsy in Windows environment.

You can try rendering with the following settings:

1. Do not render to “C:\Program files”, you may not have the right permissions. Instead, create a temp folder somewhere else (e.g. “C:\Temp”) and render there.
  2. In render dialog set parameters manually as:
    a. Filename: C:\Temp\Animation.avi
    b. Target: ffmpeg
    c. Parameters: Windows Media Video 2, wmv2, 2000
    Other settings adjust as you wish.

That worked!! Thank you!

This is strange, I had created a few different directories as I’d read about permissions issues… but only c:\Temp seems to work.

Windows 7 and a .avi file extension work. The animation I made is smooth!

I’m super happy about this because I’ve been learning “other programs” and none of them were as intuitive as Synfig.

Also my background is a Unix/Linux admin but my home Linux machine is down for repairs. As soon as I get it back online in the next week or two, I’m going to run Synfig on it.

Thanks for the help!

-Scott

Hi Scott,
we are as happy as you for your success.

Please quote that on social networks because Synfig has the curse of being un-intuitive
-G

Hi!
The solution presented above does not seem to work on my system using Windows 7 and the latest alpha release of Synfig. I can’t render any avi files, only stills in the form of for instance png’s. Also get the same error. It’s not the end of the world since I usually edit the png files in another program, but it would be nice to be able to render a quick avi to check things, because the preview is not always reliable.
Greetz!

Those settings should work, I tested it on my Windows 7 machine. I assume there’s some simple mistake on your side.

Check out my render dialog in the attached file, maybe you’re missing something…
Render.png

Nope. I have exactly the same settings and it does not render any avi files.
Greetz!

edit: It works now. synfig animation.avi did not render, but synfiganimation.avi did. Spaces in naming files are apparently a nono. That is a bit strange cos the default name that Synfig gives to a file when you try to render it does contain a space. Anyway, it works with all the codecs, so Yay! :smiley:

Hell, you’re right! And I thought it’s a problem with permissions…

Created bug report: synfig.org/issues/thebuggeni … issues/749