Hello - Synfig Newbie - Questions

Hello!

I’m new to the SynFig program but very excited. I’ve always wanted to learn how to make animations. Here’s some questions.

• Is there some type of introductory to the SynFig Program that tells you want buttons and parts of the program does?

• Are there really basic level tutorial?

• I use GIMP and Inkscape, I see you guys have plugin for them so that one can import .svg and .xcf and/or convert them .sif. However I tried it and it didn’t work and I looked through the forum and I’m a bit lost. My problem might be were I extracted the files. My WinRAR keep giving me an error message. I use:
    - Windows 7
    - Inkscape 0.48
    - GIMP 2.6
    - SynFig 0.63.03

• Question for the experts, do you normally draw on Synfig or use another Raster or Vector program?

-Kbelle

Oh I found this! wiki.synfig.org/wiki/Doc:Getting_Started :smiley:

Can you tell us which plugin/conversor didn’t work?

I use raster images (scanned or whatever source you might have) as reference and trace it inside Synfig Studio. It is, IMHO, the best way to setup a good animation environment.
Importing is good for backgrounds but in most of the cases it needs some rework to make it possible to animate properly. Keep in mind that one part of the animation/design process is to prepare the objects for the desired animation. Just import the svg might not give you a good setup for a mouth movement or a eye blink, for example.
-G

there are a number of good tutorials on youtube.

I tend to animate graphic design (animated logos, etc.) rather than do character animation in Synfig Studio so I usually start with drawings in Inkscape that I export from Inkscape as Synfig .SIF files using nikitakit’s excellent SIF exporter for Inkscape:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2953