Hello from Rosebug

Always on look out for opensource softwares and at least getting a reasonable skill level on them.
So many softwares, so little time. :cry:
Already use blender, GIMP, inkscape, pencil, monkey jam, open office, sculptris, Colors! on the Nintendo ds.

I am not a programmer but more of an artist.
I searched the forum and the site and web for a explanation of what all the layer types do.
Yeah “text” is obvious but I just wanna draw.

1. Which type of layer is best for general use?

2. Any one want to share their production pipeline?
    Hate reinventing that wheel thing.

Hi Rosebug, welcome to Synfig community.

The most general use layer is the Region and the Outline. They are created using the BLine tool.
Anyway, remember that Synfig principle for composition is layer stacking. So each primitive layer is composed with its context using the blend method. The layer’s context is the list of layers below it in the layer’s stack. The context is stopped using encapsulation method that produces Paste Canvas layer (like folders).
Also, all effects (distortions, filters, transformations, blurs, stylize , etc.) are performed in the same way, from the layer to the context.

Although currently there is not possible to freely contribute to morevnaproject, here is the contributors guide that explains a type of production pipeline.
morevnaproject.org/wiki/Contributor%27s_Guide
Mine is much simple and chaotic: Just do it! :wink:
-G

That helped alot!
I was trying to make a layer first and then draw.
I really like the “draw” tool. I am using a tablet and it fills in color!
Finally found the stroke. :unamused:

Ah come’on, share! you are an administrator!
You must have some great tips and tricks that you take for granted but we are clueless about!
I know the pipeline for animation in general:
storyboard, animatic, (character design/ backgrounds), roughs, clean ups, composite effects, camera moves, render.

I would like to see how anyone approaches and completes a scene in synfig: exploiting the software and using time wisely.

Thanks again!

dunno, every scene is different
I spoase it goes something like

make a soundtrack > write down the times when things happen >
and meanwhile
draw some pictures > add details and play with blend methods and things till it looks good > switch all the fancy details off again (cause it gets too slow) >
then
animate it > when the animation looks good switch the fancy details back on again > render (usually small then a big one)

I think the good thing about using computers is you don’t have to stick to a strict workflow - as Genete says… just do it

Welcome to Synfig

See, You provided a great tip:
putting the fancy details on and then animating with them off !

Good to know, Thanks