GSOC-2019::Export Animation for Web

SOT isstnds for “Start of time” - https://github.com/synfig/synfig/blob/master/synfig-core/src/synfig/time.cpp#L68-L85
This is a reference to first frame on the timeline.

There is also EOT - “End of time” (last frame of timeline).

As I can see, for some technical reasons, if some vertex has animated on/off states, then Synfig forces to auto-insert a “virtual” waypoint at SOT.

In our case the 0f waypoint duplicates SOT waypoint. I guess this is a technical issue.

1 Like

Well this gave me lots of clarification :slightly_smiling_face:. The link provides more information about how time is stored(I have not provided support for when time is given in hours or minutes), hence now I can provide support for it.
Also, I am attaching a modified version of the region layer file attached in above posts. Vertex 2 is on at 0f and off at 1s.
Consider I want to calculate the shape of layer at 12f. How do I calculate the position and tangents of Vertex 2 at this point?
My guess: Make Vertex 2 animated such that it’s final value(on 1s) lies somewhere on the spline connecting Vertex 1 and Vertex 3.
Can you verify if I am on the right path here @KonstantinDmitriev? Or I it would be of so much help if you could provide me some source code where all this calculation is done.
Thank you!
insert_item_region.sifz (1.0 KB)

1 Like

Exactly! :slight_smile:

I do not remember where exactly this code located. Need some time to find out…

1 Like

Found! It is calculated in this function - synfig/synfig-core/src/synfig/valuenodes/valuenode_bline.cpp at dbcff0d792e6ff53fe4daaf8aed5a3ba216669d2 · synfig/synfig · GitHub

1 Like

Getting back to our earlier discussion:

I can see that the feature of enabled/disabled vertices adds one more level of complexity for analytical part. ^__^"

1 Like

Yes, this seems to be the case unfortunately. I am wondering if the analytical part will yield any practical advantage in space reduction v/s time increase. As it will very unlikely that all the spline points and it’s parameters will all be animated for any 2 waypoints + also have same interpolation kind. Hence this might not be a space reduction, but only contribute to increase in time taken by the plugin to export.

1 Like

Yes, this is also what I am thinking about.

The output file size and export time do not really bother me. What I am concerned about is performance of Lottie player: I am afraid that it is going to be slower (more resource-demanding?) when lottie file has spline data generated for each frame. But maybe that’s not the case - this can be verified by doing some tests.

1 Like

I will try to get some more insight from lottie developers on this part.

1 Like

Weekly Update(16 June - 22 June):

• Exporting now supports time in hours and minutes.
  • Started working on outline layer.
  • Updated developer documentation (link)

Overall, my pace was slower than previous weeks due to some college related work, but I will catch up on it this week.
In the next week, I will try to complete the outline layer as well as get familiar with the code for animation of addition/removal of vertices from spline.
Any feedbacks or suggestions will be much appreciated!
That is it for this week. Stay tuned for the next update. :smiley:
-Anish

1 Like

So while dealing with outline layer, I got some problems:

• Consider Vertex 1(V1), how are P1 and P2 calculated from vertex 1? What I was trying to do is: calculate the angle(A) of the spline point on this vertex, then to calculate P1:
    P1 = V1 + width*direction
    P2 = V1 + width*direction
    where direction if calculated using angle = (A + 90), and angle = (A - 90) depending on P1 and P2.
    So in this case, my tangents angle is -90 degrees. Hence the line joining P1 and P2 should be horizontal.
    But this is not happening in the rendering as seen in the screenshot.
    @KonstantinDmitriev please have a look at this.
    File: out.sifz (1.0 KB)
1 Like

@AnishG Please consider, that internally Synfig also drawing outline as generic Shape and the code is located here - https://github.com/synfig/synfig/blob/master/synfig-core/src/modules/mod_geometry/outline.cpp#L176-L181

1 Like

Thank you for informing! I will refer this while exporting.

Just to be clear, do you mean Synfig uses a region layer(by manipulating the vertices) to form an outline layer?
@KonstantinDmitriev

1 Like

Strictly speaking it isn’t. Outline Layer and Region Layer are both inherited from Layer Shape:

Layer Shape is a pseudo-layer, that used as a base for visualization geometric data:

1 Like

But you got right the general idea - Synfig uses a Shape layer (by manipulating the vertices) to form an outline layer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Weekly Update(23 June - 29 June):

• Add support for outline layer. Round tips are not supported yet.
  • Add support for invert parameter for polygon, region and outline layer. (link)

In the next week, I will be adding support for round tips in outline layer and updating all the developer documentation for the layers exported till now. I will also try to get started with the rotate layer.
-Anish

2 Likes

Weekly Update(30 June - 6 July):

• Add support for round tips in Outline layer.
  • Updated developer documentation (link)
  • Add Rotate layer export.
  • Add Scale layer export.
  • Add Translate layer export.
  • Removed bug which did not allow export of files with only 1 frame. (link)

In the next week, I will be adding support for group layer. Will also try add support for invert parameter of remaining layers in this issue.
-Anish

1 Like

Weekly Update(7 July - 13 July):

• Add export of group layer. z-depth parameters are yet to be supported.
  • Add support for invert parameter in circle, rectangle and star layer. (link)
  • Add export of switch group layer.

In the next week, I will be adding support for z-depth parameters in the group layer. Will also try to update the documentation for the newly supported layers. I also encountered a problem with the import image layer(it’s opacity is not exported properly), hence I will be correcting this accordingly.
If done with all this, then I will be starting with duplicate layer.

Stay tuned for the next update. :smiley:
-Anish

1 Like

Hi! I would like to suggest to give a priority to Skeleton Layer instead of Duplicate Layer. This is a very commonly-used layer for animation and closely related with Group Layer. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure! I will look into it first then!

1 Like