Free characters for animations

I’ve been playing around with cutout animations and after much searching found a really great site for generating full body avatars, it’s courtesy of LLoyd’s Bank who seem more than happy for people to use the characters they generate. Go to -
lloydstsbme.com/?WT.mc_id=%20BRX021011S

You can also produce a range of close-up facial expressions and easily grab the images using Screen Grab Pro or similar.

I followed the excellent Synfig tutorial on cut-out animation and now have a master file for a poseable cutout figure. For a new character I just copy the master file to a new directory and use a photo editor to cut out the new body bits - keeping the same part names. I can now generate a completely new cutout animation figure in about 10 minutes. A bonus not highlighted in the tutorial so I thought I’d share that one!
A zip is attached for anyone who wants to use it. Just change the body bits for your own.

Geo
john.zip (151 KB)

That’s pretty cool!. It is a pita that the resolution is not high enough to make valuable close up shots. Maybe we can trace it and create a all vector character? Combination of vector under cutout is possible meanwhile the bones feature comes in.
Granted it should go to the resources on the website.
-G

Agree about resolution - but if the image is captured when on the FacialExpressions tab the image for just the top half of the body is around 360px high - not too bad for use as closeup speech. I captured 5 or so expressions and imported them as a .lst file with FPS set at 5. See attached file.

Interesting that while the characters that can be made up are 2D, the original Lloyd’s animations are 3D, see lloydstsb.com/ltsb_cinema.asp. Lots of ideas here!

geo
johnspeech.zip (248 KB)

Looks interesting as most of animation is in 3D!